I know nothing about pickups and my PRS stock aint cutting it

That looks like an older Custom 22 (by looking at the pups, the knobs, and the switch tip.) Not unusual to have some corrosion on pickup slugs over time - they contain iron, after all. Especially if you live in a humid area, or have higher acidity sweat.
im in florida high humidity!

Current progress: Im at 1 full turn and im loving it so far again this is only the bridge!

I keep going until it sounds bad and then back it off a bit. I take quite a while adjusting mine in different scenarios to get the best balance. E G. Home vs at volume, clean vs dirty etc

Ok im convinced this is a brand new guitar just did about 2 turns on the neck and already the output sounds just a tad cleaner. Crazy what a difference this makes.

Once you have them set, live with them for a bit and adjust over the next few days/week and let us know how you get on. Some people like to adjust the pole pieces but I've never seen much of a ROI from the time I've spent on that. YMMV

Once you have them set, live with them for a bit and adjust over the next few days/week and let us know how you get on. Some people like to adjust the pole pieces but I've never seen much of a ROI from the time I've spent on that. YMMV
This is great I'm definitely not done messing with the height but where its at now just sounds real good!

I think ive got this dialed in where i want it! So i did 2 full turns on the neck on either side and 2.5 turns on either side for the bridge. Im happy with this and like @BuddytheReow said i think i just saved some money. Nonetheless going to be testing out these setting with pedals and such in time.

Me personally, I don't care for the pickups in the Customs. If that's a recent one, then they are the regular wind 85/15's. If it's an older one it might be some version of the Dragon pickups. I vote you go and buy a set of Wolftone Dr. Vintage and re-wire it with 50's wiring, then do a full pictorial of the upgrade with sound clips and post it back here. Oh, AND go buy some more PCB's......but.....that's just the opinion of a gear slut......:)

Me personally, I don't care for the pickups in the Customs. If that's a recent one, then they are the regular wind 85/15's. If it's an older one it might be some version of the Dragon pickups. I vote you go and buy a set of Wolftone Dr. Vintage and re-wire it with 50's wiring, then do a full pictorial of the upgrade with sound clips and post it back here. Oh, AND go buy some more PCB's......but.....that's just the opinion of a gear slut......:)
I’m going to take a look at those pickups and do some research! Thanks for the suggestion!

I had an old Custom 24 (bought in 94?) and thought they were the worst pickups I’ve played. Loved the wide fat neck, eventually got tired of the weight and (Dare I say it?, the aesthetics…) and sold it for a good profit, with the original pups reinstalled.

it’s funny, because it seems like I’m always lowering pickups from how they get shipped, but yes, height makes a huge difference. You can also play with keeping the pickup body low and raising the screws, which can have less magnetic damping effect on sustain.

Back