SOLVED Ionizer 1 fuzz needs buffer to boost signal?

I built an ionizer 1 (not the second revision with oscillation). It’s built with the PPCB true bypass breakout board. I noticed if I run it from my guitar -> fuzz -> tube amp I get a really weak signal. Even with the knobs dimed, it sounds weak and shrill.

If I put it after a buffer (I use a buffered TC Sentry) then it sounds as expected, full and loads of gain/volume on tap. If this fuzz meant to be buffered? Should I have gone with a buffered breakout board?

if you’ve got a quiet fuzz it sounds like a shoddy solder joint. Post some clear pics of both sides of the board. We can help find the problem child…

Regarding buffers, this circuit does not need one before or afterwards.

since you put some giant caps on there do you think you might have some leads shorting out bending them around to fit? also are you sure of the pinout on the metal can tranny you have on there?

It may also be worth your time cleaning up the board with some isopropyl alcohol and reinspect your solder joints. Did you confirm all part values before installing? Same thing with the pin out like @swelchy said

@BuddytheReow @swelchy Shoot, you’re likely right about the 2N2907A transistor. I based my tab orientation based on other people’s builds but not all transistors are the same. Here’s the spec sheet for the mouser part I bought. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/268/LDS_0059-1593948.pdf

Do I have it upside down? I’ve studied the sheet but can’t deduce if I had it right or not
i looked up the pinout and from what I can tell you have it oriented correct

Thanks for the help guys! I’m going to clean the board and reflow all my solder joints. I might even replace all the caps since they’re basically Pennys on the dollar and there’s only a handful in this simple circuit

Back