GPCB Sabotage

Erik S

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I posted a while back asking about people's experience with quality issues from some "other" PCB brands. I got some great feedback, and @MichaelW blessed me with a care package of some off-brand stuff from his stash to try out including this Sabotage board. GPCB says its a modified version of the Sabbra Cadabra from Catalinbread.

These are currently on sale for $1.95 because they have a silkscreen error. Two of the electrolytics need to be installed reverse of what's indicated.

@Chuck D. Bones also did his own mod of this circuit built on one of these boards if you're interested.

I built this one per the BOM. I got the Five 2N5485 JFET from AES and used a BC550B from Tayda.

I've been trying to read up on JFET selection, biasing, etc. I still have no clue, but I did run some tests on these before I used them.

Test rig I used:

Here's how they went in.

Q2 Vp 3.3v, Idss 6.8mA
Q3 Vp 3.5v, Idss 6.9mA
Q4 Vp 3.1v, Idss 6.0mA
Q5 Vp 2.9v, Idss 5.5mA
Q6 Vp 2.7v, Idss 5.0ma

It looks like I installed them in decreasing order, but that wasn't intentional. I just grabbed them at random and that's how it turned out. I didn't have any extras, and they all were all close to each other, so I just went with it. I'm not sure if these are even in-spec, but I figured I'd post the numbers since I had them. I can at least confirm that the circuit functions with these and sounds pretty good to me. I don't know what the Sabbra Caddabra sounds like, and I've never played a Laney but it is a nice high gain amp sound.

I'm still a little intimidated by all the JFET-based troubleshooting threads, but after one success, I'm interested to try some other JFET amp-in-a-box stuff.

I built this with a dual-color LED since it was set up for it, but it's a little weird. Super-bright green when it's in bypass, red when it's on. Other than that, I like it a lot so far.

08F273E6-400B-41A2-8AFD-BBF945F46386.jpeg
5923D825-EEAA-4FEC-9CB9-2AFD4FBA0F7E.jpeg
4CF08B88-0AED-4FAF-A4EA-D2ECF66A1FBD.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed write up. I’ve built a few GPCBs, and I always change the CLR resistor. Those led’s are too bright. So much so, that when it’s on, I can’t see where the knobs are set. Just sayin.

I want to make out with that wiring again… Super clean!

Could I ask where you procured those knobs? looking into that exact design for an Electra 500D clone for a friend.

Nice job! How did you fix the LED lense in the enclosure? Looks like a silicone ring.
Thanks!

I like these:

But I'm too cheap to buy these:

So I cut my own from a piece of clear tubing.

I've tried a couple different methods to cut them accurately to size, but none I've been very happy with. I'm currently messing with a jig for cutting them on a lathe.

I want to make out with that wiring again… Super clean!

Could I ask where you procured those knobs? looking into that exact design for an Electra 500D clone for a friend.
Thanks!

First time I've used those knobs. I've been aware of the smaller "trashcan style" knobs, but they never really grabbed me.

@VanWhy posted a build recently with these larger one's I hadn't been aware of, and I added them right to my order list. For some reason I like them a lot better in that form-factor.

First time I've used those knobs. I've been aware of the smaller "trashcan style" knobs, but they never really grabbed me.
Ah! I was looking at those, and their photos make the flutes/protrusions look flat. Yours look nice, and just what I'm after. Thanks!

Back