JWST

I remember I was in my teens when the Hubble Deep Field was published. Few things, let alone pictures, have effected me more. Here's hoping Webb can snap a pic with the same incredible wonder.
(P.s. - It will.) Can't wait for the 12th!!

You mean this one, taken by NIRcam? Yes, very impressive indeed! NASA & Congress may have been pissed at the Prime Contractor for overruns and schedule delays, but that is all forgotten now, everyone is smiling!

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...livers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

A few days ago they released this image, taken by the Fine Guidance Sensor.

webb-fgs-test-image-nasa.jpeg

Something to keep in mind is these are all false-color images because they are photographed at infrared wavelengths.

I am, it was a special opportunity and I'm grateful I could play a small part. My brother helped build the sunshield.

Speaking of grains of sand...
Consider that there are more galaxies in the universe than there are grains of sand on earth. Then consider that there are more atoms in a grain of sand than their are galaxies in the universe.

I am, it was a special opportunity and I'm grateful I could play a small part. My brother helped build the sunshield.

Speaking of grains of sand...
Consider that there are more galaxies in the universe than there are grains of sand on earth. Then consider that there are more atoms in a grain of sand than their are galaxies in the universe.
I won't sleep tonight figuring that out...

Alright... who's passing out the acid?

I see a bunch of really big atoms floating around in those pics.

These give me an uneasy feeling I can't really describe.
1657601549421.png 1657601714658.png

Next time you think you guys could use a camera with a few more MP? It's a little blurry... :ROFLMAO:
(Kidding, this is awesome)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 9 year old Son and I had a very thoughtful and deep discussion about space the other night. I could see the existential implications of floating on a rock in space come over his face and much to my delight and supreme happiness, it was not a look of terror but dazzling wonder.

Back