Keeley Oxblood

I've repaired one to me it's got much more gain than other klons I've built

I also helped develop a pcb for it which sounded exactly like the original but had oscillation problems

I'll maybe dig that out the drawer and see if I can sort it

The schematic differs slightly the real one has a W20K tone pot and A100K volume apart from that as far as I remember it's the same

Anyone ever build one of these? An interesting take on the whole Klon thing...
Haven't built one, but I did play the Oxblood Germanium at a guitar shop a few years back and REALLY liked it. It had a nice saggy, zippery sound that was good at a variety of gain levels.

From the ones I've built, I'm not usually a fan of Klon circuits, but I didn't know the Oxblood was based on that until now. The Keeley product page says the difference in the Germanium version is "We’ve taken out the compression and added a germanium transistor to the output." I wonder if it's as easy as popping a Ge NPN in for the Si NPN and leaving out the clipping diodes - which I assume is what they're referring to when they say "We’ve taken out the compression"?

There's probably more to it than that. That last transistor is an emitter follower, so swapping Ge for Si isn't going to make much, if any, difference. Maybe someone can find a trace.

Since the Clipping switch is still there, it appears that the clipping diodes are present. Maybe the dirty channel's gain range is altered. Or there's a resistor in series with the clipping diodes.

Last edited:
I want to revive this old thread and pick your brains on the oxblood. Is it worth it? Should I put it on the wishlist? The demos I heard sounded good but who knows!

Someone should breadboard it. I never got around to it, too many other irons in the fire. Teaser: there is another compressor circuit coming up.

I really like the Klon design and its variants. The Keeley OB is enough different from the Klon that I would not expect it to sound or feel the same. Balancing the blend on the DRIVE control is not an easy task. Getting the note decay to sound natural when there is a clean bleed is tricky. Keeley is a smart guy, maybe he nailed it.

Back