Keep all your builds?

djmiyta

I have a bit of hoarder tendencies with guitars, amps, pedals, old TV's and radios etc. Old school style strip the hell outta that TV pcb board and what I could to build up a pedal. All that was lost some 10 years ago and some lucky Son of a Gun probably got my storage unit for $20 and all that was in it. Man I had a shitload of clairnex clm8000 in there too (heavy sigh) .
I build something or buy something I keep it. Over the years I hear friends say how they wished they never got rid of this or that. I, I'm sure like most musician's like to experiment and change pedals often (mainly cause 1 - My Yamaha G100 is all original and ancient and I believe it fucks with my head by not sounding the same the next day with nothing being touched! I'm starting to figure out the head games Yama's trying to pull on me and I'm sure it's getting close to time for an overhaul Whew! It gets my angst up at times but I'm okay now. Got off track too. So you keep all that you build? I'm sure I'm not the only pedal whoreder out there. II've built up my new pedal kingdom that currently consists of 57 loyal subjects built with my blood sweat and oh so many tears some of joy and alot of anger and 5-6 non compliant stragglers still being tortured into love and I'll get them all to turn soon and my kingdom will grow and flourish and then I'll die but I'll be happy.
The End
Djmiyta steps off the soapbox hands burrowed deep in his pockets slips off into the shadows never making eye contact but heard saying "I'll be back k k k k k "

Nice. I have seen a few people building up PedalPcb boards and selling them but their builds are really nice and mine ? well I do my best to not butcher them but that doesnt always happen luckily I don't mind as long as it works and sounds like it should Although getting some nice guitars is much higher on my " to acquire " list. Just thinking out loud

I've kept a bunch over the years and sold a good number as well.

I don't gig but I like to tinker with different pedal combinations and sounds and it's fun to have a variety of flavors to choose from...and that's why I have WAAAAAAAY too many fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals cluttering up my music room!

I have sold some vero and perf board projects with rudimentary pedal graphics for not too much money back in the day. I would guess that some players would be willing to pay a bit more for a pedal with a top quality PCB though. Maybe I'll see what the market will bear in the near future as I build and try the handful of projects I've got in the works.

Surprisingly, I don't have a lot of issues moving vero builds on, but I also have full disclosure in the marketplace ads. I'm not sure the pcb makes that much difference if you're doing high level artwork.

Surprisingly, I don't have a lot of issues moving vero builds on, but I also have full disclosure in the marketplace ads. I'm not sure the pcb makes that much difference if you're doing high level artwork
do you mean the artwork on the box or pcb? For me as long as the peddle sounds good pots do what they're supposed to graphics on the box mean nothing to me as long as the pots are labeled of course. I'm sure that has to do with the fact I suck at the graphics. I've been building pedals for years and only like a year ago started to at least paint them.
that's cool you were able to unload vero build. I have done some vero builds but always felt they were borderline accident waiting for a happening they seemed weak in comparison to me etching my own that's why I did'nt do more I'll take any stripboard layout and redo it in DIYLC into a pcb board as long as they're verified I know if it's not working it's something I did and now in todays day and age most of that is done for me only better by PedalPCB and the likes only if I see a layout that is not already made will I do a layout for it
I'm sure me losing all my stuff in a storage cemented my hoarder tendencies to what they are now and I'm ok with it. I've built up 2-3 of the same pedal and kept them cause although they're the same circuit they sound very very similar there's slight variations in each build due to variations in tolerances of components we choose to use and since I'm one of those kind of guy's that reuses as much old components as I can and foolishly install them without first checking them cause I just want to hear how it sounds if I like it even a little it stays out if not it goes into a ziplock and awaits further experimentation

If you have a look at my build reports in the Madbean forums, you'll see I put a fair bit of effort into the enclosures which probably helps. When I sell a personal or commision build I always tell the buyer that I will fix it free if anything pops up as long as they pay postage. PCB based builds are easier, but there's no reason why a well built vero isn't going to be solid either. Funkasaurus is vero, Megatron is 3x Pedalpcb Octagons.

Attachments

• funkasaurus (Medium).jpg
    funkasaurus (Medium).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 38461348_2035679849828008_5584054223261138944_n.jpg
    38461348_2035679849828008_5584054223261138944_n.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 29
If you have a look at my build reports in the Madbean forums, you'll see I put a fair bit of effort into the enclosures which probably helps. When I sell a personal or commision build I always tell the buyer that I will fix it free if anything pops up as long as they pay postage. PCB based builds are easier, but there's no reason why a well built vero isn't going to be solid either. Funkasaurus is vero, Megatron is 3x Pedalpcb Octagons.
Those are beautiful pedals. I hope I'm not being misunderstood here , serious props to the time and effort from beginning to end of a build yours look immaculate. Point well taken. (y) Since I build with me in mind and all I want to do is play with it ( hmm that doesn't sound right) I kinda drop my standards a bit if I was to to it for someone else totally different story I'd send them your way

I hoard everything but I've built up such a non-boxed bunch of stuff over the lockdown that I really need to deal with it.

Lately I've sold off a ton of stuff thru a pal of mine that owns a music store. I give him insanely good margins because I'm lazy and his biz as a mom and pop shop has sucked thru Covid. I seriously undervalue this stuff but figure it's paid for itself in education.

And I just love to build...

I keep all mine, have only sold one...and am just finishing another for the same guy. Might've sold for cost or a loss for all I know. Never busted out a calculator to make sure.

I'm not sure I trust my skills enough to ask a decent price, and it's not worth the trouble for a low price.

I hoard everything but I've built up such a non-boxed bunch of stuff over the lockdown that I really need to deal with it.

Lately I've sold off a ton of stuff thru a pal of mine that owns a music store. I give him insanely good margins because I'm lazy and his biz as a mom and pop shop has sucked thru Covid. I seriously undervalue this stuff but figure it's paid for itself in education.

And I just love to build...
Yeah among my boxed build I’ve got 30-40 unboxed builds they just don’t have what it takes to make it to a box at least when first built and knowing me who knows me another day it may sound great to me so safely they await the day .
I think that’s admirable helping your buddy out wish more people were like that and I agree just building them is a blast and when it sounds awesome can’t be beat

I keep all mine, have only sold one...and am just finishing another for the same guy. Might've sold for cost or a loss for all I know. Never busted out a calculator to make sure.

I'm not sure I trust my skills enough to ask a decent price, and it's not worth the trouble for a low price.
Same here but haven’t sold anything gave an ex bass player a build once and lost touch so one of mine is floating around out there somewhere

Back