KiCad v8 released

jwin615

Figured I'd start a thread since I hadn't seen any discussion.
KiCad 8 came out a few days ago.
Quickly browsing over the new features there seem to be a few useful ones.
-FFT simulation output is a big one for designers!
-native BOM export with savable templates
-graphic shapes are now assigned a netlist, no longer needing to custom pads in a footprint.
-some more importers added. I recall EasyEDA but there are others. Can import/convert JLC STEP 3D models as well. Also import Altium and Eagle symbol libraries. IIRC Eagle import was in v7 but I know I had issues getting it to work smoothly, but I figured the issue was resting between the keyboard and the chair.
-schematic and symbol editors can import vector graphics
-power symbols take their net name based on value field- no need to edit in symbol editor anymore. Basically, power pins/nets work like everyone else now.

Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded and installed it last night, I will be especially interested to see how the sim interface integrates with the schematic editor. Bouncing between LTspice and the KiCAD schematic has always been a PITA, so I'm hopeful.

Ha. I was boarding a plane and didn’t realize I posted that. Meant to write a bunch more about how I’ve been trying to do just that but could never figure out how. Especially for just making cool shapes into traces and what not. Looking forward to checking it out.

There’s some really cool features in this release that I’ve been wanting in diptrace. Gonna install kicad 8 on my mac and take it for another whirl, thanks for the heads up! Have they made it easier to place components in a schematic yet? A sidebar like diptrace would be sooo nice

There’s some really cool features in this release that I’ve been wanting in diptrace. Gonna install kicad 8 on my mac and take it for another whirl, thanks for the heads up! Have they made it easier to place components in a schematic yet? A sidebar like diptrace would be sooo nice
It would be nice to have a panel or toolbar of most used components to just drag and drop into the schematic. Wonder if it’s possible to write a plugin to do that. I usually start with a template that has my I/O, power, and some pots in the schematic and roughly placed in the pcb layout.

I saw this when it came out. I was excited to see the new features, but a bit less excited when I realized my MacBook Pro is no longer compatible.

I saw this when it came out. I was excited to see the new features, but a bit less excited when I realized my MacBook Pro is no longer compatible.
It may be worth trying, if the installer will run. Or wait for someone to repackage from the source side.
V7 runs fine on my unsupported os. KiCad follows apple EOL so once apple stops supporting the OS, so do they. I think there's only one person that does all the installer packages. And once apple EOLs an OS, the install packager will no longer compile an installer for a EOL OS.
It stinks but is also kinda understandable. Officially supporting several OSs and now multiple architectures would be a huge time sink.

It would be nice to have a panel or toolbar of most used components to just drag and drop into the schematic. Wonder if it’s possible to write a plugin to do that. I usually start with a template that has my I/O, power, and some pots in the schematic and roughly placed in the pcb layout.

I’ve thought about writing a plugin for it too. Its all python right?

You could change the name of desired symbols to one letter like it already exists for R-esistor or C-apacitor. Then click "a" for add symbol then "r" for resistor then "enter".

I just wish we could disable the "feature" that allows a schematic to become mangled by dragging/dropping parts across other parts.

Maybe I don't want those nets to automatically snap together.... I can't imagine a scenario where I would want that.

You could change the name of desired symbols to one letter like it already exists for R-esistor or C-apacitor. Then click "a" for add symbol then "r" for resistor then "enter".

That’s true. I bet I could make a keyboard shortcut to do that as well.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to do it.

I just wish we could disable the "feature" that allows a schematic to become mangled by dragging/dropping parts across other parts.

Maybe I don't want those nets to automatically snap together.... I can't imagine a scenario where I would want that.
You could try “Draw and drag at any angle” which does not result in many connections but it might not exactly be what you want.

1709239713222.png

I’m done with 8.0
So many errors which makes it impossible to just create a pcb without headache.
Does anyone of you dudes have the same experience?
I fooled around with it long enough to be confident that diptrace is still 100% better for me. Same headaches as other kicad versions, doesn’t do anything faster or better than diptrace. Spice simulation is useless if I can draw the circuit in LTSpice in 1/10th of the time

Back