Kliche - Chuck D. Bones Bass Klon

Awesome. Thanks
The silicone insulated stuff is very flexible and is often used in robotic and RC applications. So if you need the sort of standalone lead dress you can get with solid core wire it may not be your jam. I use other cable management strategies as needed, but I still use solid core for stuff like tube filament heaters where a specific amount of turns per inch is desired on twisted pairs.

There's not a whole lot that @Chuck D. Bones posts that I can follow, 99% of what he talks about in his posts is way over my head and I can't even pretend I understand:)

But his post on his Bass Klon mods really caught my attention and after reading it knew I had to build it!

You can read about the mods, the reasoning behind the changes, etc in the post linked above.

This is my 4th Kliche I think and the build went super smooth and without issue. I printed out all the changed values from Chuck's mods and I populated those first so I wouldn't get too confused by the board silkscreens. I did not have any small form factor 1u film caps so I subbed an MLCC in that one spot.

After reading @K Pedals build report and how he said it sounded great on guitar as well, I started out testing it with guitars.
It's really a very "different" kind of Klon. I had it side by side with my Aion Refractor build comparing them.
Definitely a much warmer, creamier pedal but it really works well with bridge pickups and particularly the bridge P90 on my 90Caster and Jazzmaster.

I found that I needed to crank the treble control for guitar but I was getting a really nice creamy drive sounds with it. Very usable on guitar.
I would use it as a standalone overdrive and I found that I like the tone more than a standard Klon, which I rarely use.

Then I switched over to my new Jazz bass, man, it really shines! With the gain low, it adds some nice warmth and fatness to the tone.
With the gain cranked it's definitely into bass overdrive mode! Sounds fantastic!

I was trying to give a nod to the full size Klon form factor by building the full size Kliche and using some Oxblood Davies that I had.
But I picked the Tayda Army Green color just to highlight that this is a highly modified circuit by our resident circuit wizard.

I used a pair of NOS Russian HG5003 Ge diodes that fell within the typical Klon parameters on my tester. (~.350mv)

I've got some ideas cooking about a SUAPYG demo using this pedal on guitars and bass.......Thanks Chuck! Awesome mod!

View attachment 32257

View attachment 32258
That is so clean! Clean enough to eat Sunday dinner off of it! As always, appreciate the insight and build.

Back