Kliche Ge Diodes which ones do you go with?

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
So I just bought a kliche pcb this will be first Klon build and I got a bunch of different ge diodes I have 1n34A, 1n270,1n60, d9d,d18,and D9E. Was just wondering who’s put in different ge and which ones sound the best to you guys. Would like to hear anyones opinion.

So I think there’s a misunderstanding here I meant frying the diodes by soldering them in 🤣

Last edited:
Mind that your "D" series Ge Diodes may be reverse orientation from your others. In other words, the banding may be on the anode side and not the cathode side. I found out the hard way:)

Orientation of the diodes won't make any difference in the Kliche but it's worth knowing for any other builds you may use them in. Quick check with a multimeter will confirm.

Mind that your "D" series Ge Diodes may be reverse orientation from your others. In other words, the banding may be on the anode side and not the cathode side. I found out the hard way:)

Orientation of the diodes won't make any difference in the Kliche but it's worth knowing for any other builds you may use them in. Quick check with a multimeter will confirm.
Thanks for the tip will keep in mind when it comes time to build!

I went with some D9E's. They result in a tad softer clipping which, to me, sounds a bit better. Along with that, I use a 6n8 instead of a 3n9 for C15. The combination of these two little mods results in a slightly softer, less treble-y tone. Not quite as bright as a stock Klon basically. I personally like it. It's a relatively subtle change though.

I went with some D9E's. They result in a tad softer clipping which, to me, sounds a bit better. Along with that, I use a 6n8 instead of a 3n9 for C15. The combination of these two little mods results in a slightly softer, less treble-y tone. Not quite as bright as a stock Klon basically. I personally like it. It's a relatively subtle change though.
I might look at this I want to build something a little different than a normal Klon I’m def going to give the D9E’s a try!

The C15 mod is a common mod. I did that with all my Klon builds as well. You can go up to 8N2 for a pronounced effect, but like @jeffwhitfield I've used 6N8 for all the Klon's I've built. It makes the treble much more useful. Otherwise, it kinda goes from "bright" to "brighter:)

Lower forward voltage will cause the clipping to happen sooner, that is you may notice more compression and distortion kicking in at lower gain.
Ok good to know this was helpful in knowing about what lower forward voltages will do.

Lower forward voltage will cause the clipping to happen sooner, that is you may notice more compression and distortion kicking in at lower gain.
Actually, from my EXTENSIVE SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS...... :p ........I've noticed in my last Klon build that the Ge Diodes don't have as much affect as all the hubbub around them would indicate. I was building a Klon for my brother and I had the bright idea of putting some different diodes options on a toggle switch for him. I tried a bunch of different silicon and Ge diodes and differences were so negligible that it was hardly worth doing. I think the whole magic Ge diodes things in Klon's are just more of the Centaur mythology BS. I actually have Bat 41's in my own Klon.

Back