Lead Solder Overdrive

At what knob settings does oscillation occur? What influences it? Gain, Mid, Presence, guitar Vol knob?
Did you clean the board after soldering?

Have you tried with other ICs? 5448 instead of 072?

At what knob settings does oscillation occur? What influences it? Gain, Mid, Presence, guitar Vol knob?
Did you clean the board after soldering?

Have you tried with other ICs? 5448 instead of 072?
the gain knob, and generally when it's over I'd say 80%. the pitch of the oscillation changes as the knob is turned. oddly when I put my finger on the bass pot it pretty much goes away. the residual noise is likely a mix of the absurd amount of gain and the crappy wiring in my apartment. I use an isp hum eliminator and decimator to combat that.

I have not tried different IC's. that's worth a shot for sure.

the gain knob, and generally when it's over I'd say 80%. the pitch of the oscillation changes as the knob is turned. oddly when I put my finger on the bass pot it pretty much goes away. the residual noise is likely a mix of the absurd amount of gain and the crappy wiring in my apartment. I use an isp hum eliminator and decimator to combat that.

I have not tried different IC's. that's worth a shot for sure.
Putting one together once I get some last minuet components by the end of the week, Did you ever get the oscillation sorted out?

Hello! New to this forum. Names Greg. I’m curious about this build and am looking into sourcing parts to build one for myself. Just wanted to verify that the presence pot is 25k reverse audio? If that’s the case does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks!

Hello! New to this forum. Names Greg. I’m curious about this build and am looking into sourcing parts to build one for myself. Just wanted to verify that the presence pot is 25k reverse audio? If that’s the case does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Welcome! I ordered mine from Stompboxparts. If you're in the US, they have reasonable shipping.

Putting one together once I get some last minuet components by the end of the week, Did you ever get the oscillation sorted out?
got side tracked with other projects. just got it boxed up, and now that it's grounded in the case, the oscillation is basically gone. if i crank the gain AND the mids, it will make a funny honk noise when i turn off my gate. but under normal use cases, the problem i was having before is effectively solved. i test everything extensively before i go drilling expensive enclosures. this would be the second time i reported a problem and it turned out to be grounding because it wasn't boxed yet. shout out to Robert for sorting that out for me both times. what a guy

Hi, I have boxes mine up and it still suffers from oscillation at high gain levels. I am guessing there is not a fix for this yet?

Hi, I have boxes mine up and it still suffers from oscillation at high gain levels. I am guessing there is not a fix for this yet?
the fix is building it properly.
there’s enough information available on this thread and others (including mine) on how to do that.

if you want some real help, it might be good for you to post your own troubleshooting thread (this is someone else's build report) and attach close, in-focus pictures of your build, and it might be easier to identify potential issues and/or give you some tips.

Last edited:
Double check everything. If you can use a short ribbon cable and breakout to the footswitch just to keep leads long. Do what everyone says and route wires along the side above and away from the PCB and it will work perfectly.

I knocked mine out today in an hour or so and it worked perfectly first time. And fwiw, I didn’t use shielded wire or any other tricks some have done.
You can do it!!!

you-can-do-it-tv.gif

there’s enough information available on this thread and others (including mine) on how to do that.

if you want some real help, it might be good for you to post your own troubleshooting thread (this is someone else's build report) and attach close, in-focus pictures of your build, and it might be easier to identify potential issues and/or give you some tips

if you want some real help, it might be good for you to post your own troubleshooting thread (this is someone else's build report) and attach close, in-focus pictures of your build, and it might be easier to identify potential issues and/or give you some tips.
Thanks ,

Will do ,great feedback ....

Back