Lead Solder Overdrive

synthesiserror

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I haven't seen anyone else post a build report of this one yet. I finished it a few days ago and I've had a little time to play around with it.

First, the good. The circuit is dead quiet- nice job with the layout, it was well worth the wait. There is a ton of usable gain on tap. I'm going to compare this to the Sanguine and Tyrian builds I've done previously, because I have had both of them on my board for a while in a dual enclosure, and they're all higher-gain amp-in-a-box pedals with 3-band EQ. This SLO clone has a lot more versatility than the Sanguine and doesn't sound as sterile when the mids are scooped. I tend to dial the Tyrian at a lower gain, aggression-off setting while pushing the mids. I think the Tyrian sounds better in this overdrive territory, but the Lead Solder sounds better than the Tyrian when cranked up; Tyrian gets kind of muddy at the higher gain settings.

One "feature" of this pedal is that it doubles as a tone generator. When you dime the mids, the pedal will oscillate at any gain setting. The frequency of the oscillation interacts with the other tone controls.

*Update* moving the input and output wires away from the PCB has resolved the oscillation. See posts below.

The "deep" switch pretty much does what it says, adding a little bit of low-end resonance.

I built the board to spec minus the jumpered CLR and LED. I know a lot of y'all have contempt for the green dipped mylar caps, but I like to use them where possible because they're cheap and they sound great. They crowd together on some boards, but this layout has plenty of room for them. No real surprises with this build.

I did have to make a special order to SBP for the Zener diodes and C25K presence pot. Tayda was out of any brand of B250K pots, so I've got pots from 3 vendors here. I had some breakout boards printed that relocate the LED and allow you to adjust brightness, so the new CLR is 820R in series with a 50K trimpot. This range is what I found to be the most usable for waterclear color LEDs.

For the enclosure, I decided to go with a nice cream powdercoat which evokes warm memories of the nicotine-stained paint chips I snacked on as a child. Graphics are a regular waterslide inkjet decal with a lacquer film coat (my usual technique).

image_67158785.JPG

image_67230209.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone else post a build report of this one yet. I finished it a few days ago and I've had a little time to play around with it.

First, the good. The circuit is dead quiet- nice job with the layout, it was well worth the wait. There is a ton of usable gain on tap. I'm going to compare this to the Sanguine and Tyrian builds I've done previously, because I have had both of them on my board for a while in a dual enclosure, and they're all higher-gain amp-in-a-box pedals with 3-band EQ. This SLO clone has a lot more versatility than the Sanguine and doesn't sound as sterile when the mids are scooped. I tend to dial the Tyrian at a lower gain, aggression-off setting while pushing the mids. I think the Tyrian sounds better in this overdrive territory, but the Lead Solder sounds better than the Tyrian when cranked up; Tyrian gets kind of muddy at the higher gain settings.

One "feature" of this pedal is that it doubles as a tone generator. When you dime the mids, the pedal will oscillate at any gain setting. The frequency of the oscillation interacts with the other tone controls.

The "deep" switch pretty much does what it says, adding a little bit of low-end resonance.

I built the board to spec minus the jumpered CLR and LED. I know a lot of y'all have contempt for the green dipped mylar caps, but I like to use them where possible because they're cheap and they sound great. They crowd together on some boards, but this layout has plenty of room for them. No real surprises with this build.

I did have to make a special order to SBP for the Zener diodes and C25K presence pot. Tayda was out of any brand of B250K pots, so I've got pots from 3 vendors here. I had some breakout boards printed that relocate the LED and allow you to adjust brightness, so the new CLR is 820R in series with a 50K trimpot. This range is what I found to be the most usable for waterclear color LEDs.

For the enclosure, I decided to go with a nice cream powdercoat which evokes warm memories of the nicotine-stained paint chips I snacked on as a child. Graphics are a regular waterslide inkjet decal with a lacquer film coat (my usual technique).

View attachment 67196

View attachment 67193
Nice build!
I know I saw someone in a Facebook pedal group with a hand built SLO pedal, judging from the control layout, I’m guessing it was a PPCB board as well.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, wonder if using shielded wires from the switch to jacks would help cut the oscillations?

This shouldn't be happening. I just pulled out the prototype to confirm, it doesn't oscillate at any setting of the controls.

Try routing your Input / Output wires further away from the PCB. When I route the input wire between the capacitors like you have in your pic I do get oscillation.

When I route the input wire between the capacitors like you have in your pic I do get oscillation.
Interesting. When I get home I’ll route the wires elsewhere, maybe under the board, and see if it fixes that. It’s not a problem at all unless the mid pot is fully dimed. I only routed the wire like that because I cut it off the spool a little too short, and didn’t feel like taking 10 seconds to cut and strip another piece.

i haven't boxed mine yet. currently testing and yeah, crazy oscillation with the gain up. 2 gates to take care of it. touching the top of the bass pot seems to quiet it down. touching the mid and treble pots make it worse. i've reflowed them all to make sure i don't have a bad ground or something. might have to break out the microscope and make sure there's not a single strand of wire touching something

I too needed careful positioning of the wires to prevent oscillation. Even going as far as rotating the jacks helped let the gain knob ride higher before squeal. I built two boards at the same time, one was more subject to having issues than the other. Put shielded wire for in/out and the noise floor is very acceptable and no chance of oscillation on either build. I ran out of hot glue, which came to mind to secure wires the same way shown above. But that's the magic spot for wires

Something to note, if you're using tayda boxes, sand off some powder coat where the pots, switch, jacks touch the case to improve grounding. I also scrape off some paint on the countersunk holes on the bottom so that the screws electrically bond the bottom to shield the enclosure.

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_195739785.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240128_195739785.MP.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
if you're using tayda boxes, sand off some powder coat where the pots, switch, jacks touch the case to improve grounding. I also scrape off some paint on the countersunk holes on the bottom so that the screws electrically bond the bottom to shield the enclosure.
I drill my own, and I always end up doing this when I'm deburring. For the enclosure screws, I run a 6/32 tap to clean out the threads and I scrape the countersunk portion of the lid with an x-acto knife so that the screws sit flush and make good contact.

other than the constant sine wave ringing over the note, pretty incredible. got some shielded wire in the mail. hoping that solves the issue
shielded wire didn't do anything. and my jacks are all the way down by the switch. nowhere near the gain knob. is this thing going to be grounded once i put it in the case?

shielded wire didn't do anything. and my jacks are all the way down by the switch. nowhere near the gain knob. is this thing going to be grounded once i put it in the case?
what jacks are you using?
one of them will need to have continuity from the jack sleeve with the enclosure for the enclosure to do it's shielding thing, and this could even possibly solve your noise issues.

what jacks are you using?
one of them will need to have continuity from the jack sleeve with the enclosure for the enclosure to do it's shielding thing, and this could even possibly solve your noise issues.
just the standard enclosed plastic mono jacks from tayda. i don't tend to box them up until i confirm they are built correctly, so if the enclosure is going to help ground it all, then i can proceed.

just the standard enclosed plastic mono jacks from tayda. i don't tend to box them up until i confirm they are built correctly, so if the enclosure is going to help ground it all, then i can proceed.
which ones? do they have a metal sleeve?

if they're like these ones:
you'll want to sneak in a wire from the jack sleeve solder tag/tab (= ground) to make contact with the inside/drilled surface of the jack hole, to ensure continuity from the circuit ground to the enclosure (to allow the enclosure to be a shield)

which ones? do they have a metal sleeve?

if they're like these ones:

you'll want to sneak in a wire from the jack sleeve solder tag/tab (= ground) to make contact with the inside/drilled surface of the jack hole, to ensure continuity from the circuit ground to the enclosure (to allow the enclosure to be a shield)

these
1707287517478.png

Back