Lectric-FX DC-Echo (EHX Echo 600)

Great build for a very satisfying pedal. I am really happy with the DC Echo and Flintlock that I built this month. Looks like I need to check out the Countdown....
The countdown is sort of like if phaser was flanger, the notches are very sharp and with 10 stages things get... deep.

Plus lots of headroom with no FET's or OTA's involved, no matching involved and the CMOS chips are cheap as... damn I wish I had a good similie.

Finally boxed the beast as of just now. Still in progress... The interaction between the two LFOs (sweep and sweep mod, if I understand this aright) produces beat patterns within the modulation that are exceedingly groovy. If phaser were flanger ... If six was nine? James Marshall H might well have put aside his Univibe for this. :unsure: I'll show myself the door ...

Haha, seriously, this build has gotten a lot of love!

I'm not actually in charge of any of the business side of things but I could perhaps put in a good word with Keefe ;) Especially if you were to put up a demo... :sneaky:
I was (mostly) kidding! You guys put out some ambitious and brilliant projects. I just try to talk about them as much as possible.

My current setup isn't the best for recording, but I'll see if I can get something representative of this build. I'm also overdue to visit a friend with a studio.

Benny-I got this kit last week and completed the build, but I can't get any sound out of it with my guitar plugged in. I do get "sound" when using injecting a 250 HZ signal from my iPhone's sound generator app, but its just "noise" and the Output has to be turned up to about 2 o'clock to get that. I've posted my experience on the Lectrix forum, but no responses yet.

When I plug in the guitar, I don't get any sound. Sound is fine when I hit the foot switch and just go straight through.

I've got a small oscilloscope and I have run the Wet signal test procedure in the instructions using the scope, and have signal at all the points.

I've also done the voltage tests, and my readings are inline with the Test voltages except for HIGH readings on IC10, P3 7.75, P4 7.75 and P 7 of 14.7; IC11 P3 3.03, and P4 3.02 and IC 12 P7 7.28.

I noticed that there are 2 GND points at the top edge of the PCB. Is there something they should be wired too? Does the PCB ground to the chassis through the shells of the jacks or the pots or something else? Is this a GND issue?

So I'm stuck. I was able to get the 10KHZ set, but really nothing else as to calibration.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

@wsscott I’m not sure how much help I can be here. There’s no published schematic, so the folks at lectric are the only ones that know for certain what’s going on there.

I noticed that there are 2 GND points at the top edge of the PCB. Is there something they should be wired too? Does the PCB ground to the chassis through the shells of the jacks or the pots or something else? Is this a GND issue?
The two GND pads are for the jacks’ ground lugs. That is how the circuit is grounded. Whether that has anything to do with your issues, I’m not sure.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread. Would it be possible to add a tap tempo to this build? In the D'Lay I built from Musikding (demo is on the way) it's only bypassing a resistor and pot. I understand it that you won't publish the schematic, but it would be great if this was possible! I like the analog delay sound, I found out recently, and I need my delays syncing to the songs. This is the issue with most DIY delay: the lack of a tap tempo. Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to hijack this thread. Would it be possible to add a tap tempo to this build? In the D'Lay I built from Musikding (demo is on the way) it's only bypassing a resistor and pot. I understand it that you won't publish the schematic, but it would be great if this was possible! I like the analog delay sound, I found out recently, and I need my delays syncing to the songs. This is the issue with most DIY delay: the lack of a tap tempo. Thanks in advance!
No, not really.

There are some bucket-brigade chipped delays in the commercial realm with tap-tempo, but an old-school bucket-brigade chip-based circuit is a completely different animal to digital PT2399 karaoke-machine chips as used in the D'Lay and hoards of other Delay circuits both DIY and commercial.

Read up a bit more on it here, particularly ElectricDruid's comments:

Some commercial delays at ...

... different levels...

I got my pedal working late last summer. It turned out that the trim pots were too low to output any sound, so I worked on getting the 3 BDD's "tuned". I found that the pedal does well when it's in the Long position, but when I turn it over to Short, there's barely any effect unless the other pots are turned really high. I don't know if that's just the way this pedal is designed, or if I need to do some more fine tuning on the trimmers.

Thoughts?

Oh, I meant to also comment that the "On" LED that I'm using is white/clear and it's really bright. The Red/Overload LED's brightness is fine. Any recommendations on how to lower the intensity of the ON LED? I assume adding or changing a resistor. Any suggestions. Thanks.

R50 is the resistor for the power LED. Default is 4k7. You can raise it to bring down the brightness. Maybe just try different resistors with a battery and another blue LED if you have that lying around. I think 20k should do it.

Regarding short mode. You should be able to clearly hear the delay. It's short, but still. For instance, turn delay in short mode to max and the blend to max. Play a note, it should not appear immediately, but with a very noticeable delay, like 120ms or something.

Thanks I'll give your short mode suggestion a try. I wired the Long/Short mode toggle switch like its shown in the instructions, but I've seen different photos of builds with some showing Long with the toggle in the UP position, and others with Short in the UP position. Which way should it be? I ask in case I've just got the switch upside down/mislabled. Thanks again.

MicMac-I just tried out your suggestion and it worked great-just as you described. So I guess things must be calibrated ok.

I played around with the settings, and finally after all these months, I finally found a great setting for me for a SlapBack Effect. That's why I built it to begin with, but I couldn't find the setup that gave me the slapback sound. So my settings are as follows in Short Mode: Blend/Noon; Delay/3:00; Feedback/8:00; Rate/7:00; and Depth/9:30.

So this is great.

If you or anyone else has any other suggested settings for any "sound effect", that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Back