Lectric-FX Soy Sauce for my SCHMORG

dawson

So I've been sitting on this build for a couple weeks now, not really knowing how to write it up..

aHaBhye.jpg

While I was first testing it, I thought I'd made a mistake somewhere in my build because it doesn't respond at all similar to octave pedals I've tried in the past, but after re-reading the build doc's and checking out a handful of videos, I concluded that with the exception of the first scratchy-sounding tantalum that got replaced, I'd built myself a fully functioning MeatBox!

According to random YouTube pedal enthusiast, it's not an octave, it's a sub-harmonizer. Its' job is to grab the lowest of your low harmonic content and push it scary hard. Obviously, I've oversimplified the distinction because I'm still struggling with it, but knowing that it's a different type of effect helps me in my attempts to approach it.

This circuit is a bit touchy with which notes on the neck it decides to track, so in addition to finding good knob settings, it'll take a reasonable amount of practice with the pedal to integrate it fully into a set-up, but once all that work is done, you have a little button on the floor that makes your amp go from normal to HUUUUUGHHHH when you press it.

CbtjobQ.jpg

☝️ Quote from the film 'John Dies at the End' which I watched while populating this board, so that was an unexpected treat.

Anyhow, I use the lower octave of an EHX POG on my vocals in a couple songs so I'm on the search for a DIY octave that could replace it. Somewhere on this forum I read respected-ear, @Betty Wont praising this circuit for its' vocal tracking and 'Demon Voice' capabilities and I ordered this PCB the same day!

So, does it doom demon?
Hell yes it does! It's absolutely terrifying as a vocal effect- and just as with bass and guitar, it makes for some very interesting pedal stacks. I'm still on the search for a vocal octave because I'm having trouble getting a good blend of normal/sub with this one- the sub just dominates and I'm not really looking to go full demon for these particular songs, but regardless it sounds really really cool! This circuit has yet to find a permanent job to do over here, but it's got capabilities that none of my other effects even come close to, so it's a welcome addition to my collection!

uasBEfH.jpg

sqtoVNT.jpg

If anybody's got info to share about how they like to use this circuit, I'd be really interested to learn!

The faceplate was designed in Photoshop and etched with ferric chloride- I did a bit more of a write-up on developing this graphic over here:
Drawing Board

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

Thanks for reading!

I also like to use it in subtle settings as a kind of bass presence control for heavier music. If you plug an acoustic electric into it and fingerpick you can be your own bass accompaniment. And yeah, you can dial in a tracking sub synth but it isn’t at all like a traditional octave down. It’s polyphonic until you dial up the sub harmonizer.

Yessss, I have reissue and I like to do the subtle thing but it's also fun to shake the world with it. Sometimes I run mine out to a p/a 100% wet and send the dry through my pedals to my amp. Only thing I don't like about that is 100% wet into a proper bass fuzz is excellent so I'm likely to route things so that I can keep a fuzz after it when doing that. Though as is, when I kick it in with fuzz, having clean sub under the nasty can be intense too. I especially like gated fuzzes like a mammoth after.

I just remembered that the soysauce doesn't have the second dry output.... so never mind all that.

Tldr; put some Snuffy fuzz on that thing. Screenshot_20230421_144504.jpg

NICE. I thought mine was broken too when I made it for a pal. Definitely rips. It's pretty awesome when you have a bunch of 8x10 cabs to play around with...

Glad I'm not the only one! I go to all the trouble of making those uncommon capacitor values and sourcing the fancy W-taper pots then it turns around and treats me like this?? 🙃
Nope- it works fine. I'm the problem.

I really like what you did here, that etch is 😋

Thanks!
"Meat Box" and "Soy Sauce" are both fun names to work with- I'm looking forward to seeing the approach you take with it.

I also like to use it in subtle settings as a kind of bass presence control for heavier music. If you plug an acoustic electric into it and fingerpick you can be your own bass accompaniment. And yeah, you can dial in a tracking sub synth but it isn’t at all like a traditional octave down. It’s polyphonic until you dial up the sub harmonizer.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
See, this is why I couldn't post a build report right away- it has many uses, but none of them are ordinary.

n4scgse21iuz.0.jpg

Yessss, I have reissue and I like to do the subtle thing but it's also fun to shake the world with it. Sometimes I run mine out to a p/a 100% wet and send the dry through my pedals to my amp. Only thing I don't like about that is 100% wet into a proper bass fuzz is excellent so I'm likely to route things so that I can keep a fuzz after it when doing that. Though as is, when I kick it in with fuzz, having clean sub under the nasty can be intense too. I especially like gated fuzzes like a mammoth after.

I just remembered that the soysauce doesn't have the second dry output.... so never mind all that.

Tldr; put some Snuffy fuzz on that thing.View attachment 46747

Sweet- I hear the reissue is super!

So- I would've thought this a really stupid question before actually plugging it in.. but do you think it can get crazy enough to damage a speaker?

Glad I'm not the only one! I go to all the trouble of making those uncommon capacitor values and sourcing the fancy W-taper pots then it turns around and treats me like this?? 🙃
Nope- it works fine. I'm the problem.

Thanks!
"Meat Box" and "Soy Sauce" are both fun names to work with- I'm looking forward to seeing the approach you take with it.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
See, this is why I couldn't post a build report right away- it has many uses, but none of them are ordinary.

n4scgse21iuz.0.jpg

Sweet- I hear the reissue is super!

So- I would've thought this a really stupid question before actually plugging it in.. but do you think it can get crazy enough to damage a speaker?
Only if your amplifier is capable of pushing those frequencies past your speakers’ ability. I find the signal overloads preamps in a fun way, but the frequencies it can’t handle either don’t express, or they just distort. I’ve never hurt anything with the meat box.
If you have a Smokey pocket amp, you can get some gnarly distortion goosing it with the meat box.

Last edited:
As far as speaker damage, I haven't hurt anything yet but I take care to turn it down before blasting an unfamiliar room/amp etc during sound check. When I have really pushed it with my ampeg 2x10 combo it can make some concerning sounds so I tend to back it off with that rig. My barefaced super twin seems like it would make me poop before any speaker damage. Perhaps something to test tomorrow morning after my coffee....

I had a Scirocco as a teenager with the entire hatchback stuffed with 18’s and all the Rockford Fosgate I could afford.

I'm jealous!

As far as speaker damage, I haven't hurt anything yet but I take care to turn it down before blasting an unfamiliar room/amp etc during sound check. When I have really pushed it with my ampeg 2x10 combo it can make some concerning sounds so I tend to back it off with that rig. My barefaced super twin seems like it would make me poop before any speaker damage. Perhaps something to test tomorrow morning after my coffee....

Good info'.
I mainly worry about running it through my Eden rig- I've had it less than a year and it's waay more muscle than I've ever dealt with so I'm still getting a feel for its capabilities/limitations.

My first NEW car was a GLI cyber seats, sunroof, with factory Bose system with amp and subs! I’ve never driven an automatic transmission. I’m manual until it’s unavailable.
I’m right there with you—but we’re a bit screwed in the US. I’ve only had one auto (hand-me-down). The lane-departure and adaptive cruise control are making standards drop out of lineups.

Another car connection: when I was a kid, the original bronco was my absolute favorite.

Edit: @dawson I’m very sorry your excellent build report turned into the @Betty Wont / @benny_profane car talk.

I’m right there with you—but we’re a bit screwed in the US. I’ve only had one auto (hand-me-down). The lane-departure and adaptive cruise control are making standards drop out of lineups.

Another car connection: when I was a kid, the original bronco was my absolute favorite.

Edit: @dawson I’m very sorry your excellent build report turned into the @Betty Wont / @benny_profane car talk.
I figure my new bronco is the last gas powered car I’ll own. Bye bye stick shift. I live in a cold climate. Remote start is a nice feature of automatics. I grew up in the desert and my step moms jacked up 69 bronco was the tits!

Back