LGSM

Mourguitars

Fun build and no issues plugged in and worked, put sockets to try diodes or LED's... tried the 1n4148's , Red LED's but the Green LED's won out..wasnt as harsh with my rig , CDB recommended the Green one's ...he was right !

A/B my old TS9, TS7 and 808...my gosh they are noisy ! LGSM has very little noise as are most of the PedalPCB builds are

Kept things simple , no heat shrink or breakout board just in case i might want to Mod , but its fine the way it is !

Ill build another to Mod ....

Mike

This pedal rock's !

Dead quite, no hisss...again sounds better than my other T.S pedals...tighten things up..wow !

back to playing..waiting on my Tayda order of resistors and film caps

Mike

Looking good. Quality design + quality parts + quality workmanship = great pedal.
No IC socket this time, eh? (y)

Go Green or go home! :alien:

I took your advise on the sockets..!

Thanks for the encouraging reply...yea the green LED's sounded the best , buy a long shot !

Mike

Maybe I missed something, now I’m curious / opening to changing opinions. What’s the benefit of not using IC sockets? I thought socketing ICs was fairly common practice for diy (easy experimenting, troubleshooting, not re-heating the IC pins with each connecting solder joint). I always use the machines sockets with the round metal holes, and haven't noticed any connectivity issues.

The machined pin sockets are reliable and if you plan on swapping out parts, it's a good option. On the other hand, if you use good soldering technique, then the thermal stress on the IC is well within its capabilities. In some layouts, the socket crowds adjacent components and can cause assembly problems. My main argument against sockets is that they obscure the solder joints under them, making inspection difficult or impossible. Most of the time they simply aren't necessary.
I almost always use sockets for germanium transistors because a) they are extremely heat-sensitive and b) there is a very good chance I'll end up swapping them out until I get the right sound. The stamped pin sockets are unreliable and I encourage people to not use them.

Back