Little Green Balls of Death - a Christmas Recipe

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
little-green-balls-of-death.jpg

I wasn't a fan of Brussels Sprouts until I found a good recipe. When they're made right, they're moist, flavorful and have slight crunch. It starts out with selecting good ones. They should be firm, roughly the same size so they cook evenly and not all beat up from handling.

Makes 2 servings
10 - 12 medium LGBoDs
1 - 2 cloves of garlic
a handful of sliced almonds (pine nuts also work well)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil

This is a vegetarian dish. If you're going for Hard-Core Vegan, then leave out the butter 😜.

Wash brussels sprouts and trim off the cut ends. Cut them in half from stem to top. Remove any loose or damaged leaves.
Put butter & olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. I prefer cast iron, but non-stick also works.
When the butter is melted and starts to bubble, add LGBoDs cut-side down. We're frying them, not sauteing them; adjust the heat accordingly.
Slice garlic clove(s) so the pieces are roughly the same size & shape as the almond slices.
Check the LGBoDs frequently and when they start to brown, throw in the garlic and cut the heat back a little so the garlic doesn't burn.
As soon as some of the garlic pieces start to brown, toss in the almond slices and turn off the heat. Let it coast for another minute and then plate it. Add salt & pepper to taste.

View attachment 20265

I wasn't a fan of Brussels Sprouts until I found a good recipe. When they're made right, they're moist, flavorful and have slight crunch. It starts out with selecting good ones. They should be firm, roughly the same size so they cook evenly and not all beat up from handling.

Makes 2 servings
10 - 12 medium LGBoDs
1 - 2 cloves of garlic
a handful of sliced almonds (pine nuts also work well)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil

This is a vegetarian dish. If you're going for Hard-Core Vegan, then leave out the butter 😜.

Wash brussels sprouts and trim off the cut ends. Cut them in half from stem to top. Remove any loose or damaged leaves.
Put butter & olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. I prefer cast iron, but non-stick also works.
When the butter is melted and starts to bubble, add LGBoDs cut-side down. We're frying them, not sauteing them; adjust the heat accordingly.
Slice garlic clove(s) so the pieces are roughly the same size & shape as the almond slices.
Check the LGBoDs frequently and when they start to brown, throw in the garlic and cut the heat back a little so the garlic doesn't burn.
As soon as some of the garlic pieces start to brown, toss in the almond slices and turn off the heat. Let it coast for another minute and then plate it. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Here in the south we fry ‘‘em up in bacon grease with a little brown sugar

Edit: it's really Sauted in bacon grease

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe.

I'm a teacher so I spend a lot of time in contact with people, therefore these veggies are only allowed on the weekend. By the time Monday comes around the aromatic and nebulous side effects usually clear up and it's safe to reenter society.

Oversharing much?

I just bought a wack of these green things tonight — tried Chuck’s LGBoD recipe (prefer pine-nuts to almonds) with great success! Many thanks for the recipe, sir.

Lots still in the raw, so…

Next up, Barry’s Bacon & Brown-sugar Bonanza.

Will still have enough to finish off with Joe’s Balsamic & Feta Brussel-fantasy.

My go-to:

-Sprouts, cut in half
-A chopped onion (however much you want)
-Bacon (we only eat Turkey bacon, and you could also use ham…just a bit; 1 or 2 slices of bacon, chopped
-Drizzle in olive oil
-Season with garlic salt and pepper (as much as you require)
-Bake at 400 F till the sprouts are tender…

Ben Franklin was vegetarian…but all his favorite recipies used bacon as a flavoring…

My go-to:

-Sprouts, cut in half
-A chopped onion (however much you want)
-Bacon (we only eat Turkey bacon, and you could also use ham…just a bit; 1 or 2 slices of bacon, chopped
-Drizzle in olive oil
-Season with garlic salt and pepper (as much as you require)
-Bake at 400 F till the sprouts are tender…

Ben Franklin was vegetarian…but all his favorite recipies used bacon as a flavoring…
Bacon is a condiment in my kitchen

Reactions: fig
2B4F99B0-08D7-451D-BEAB-FED6526AC890.jpeg So I had made the sprouts over at my Mom's place, and I went back today to get the sprouts and try another recipe — she'd cooked them all up and thrown them in with some 8-cheese Tortellini and ... I don't know, a cream-cheese sauce? Pasta Brussel Salad.

Hot or cold it was freq'n delicious!
Alas, I can't share the recipe, as she doesn't use them and made this ad hoc; I'll interrogate ask nicely and try to cobble some sort of recipe together. So now I have to buy more brussel-sprouts.

• Love
Reactions: fig
'Call any vegetable
Pick up your phone
Think of a vegetable
Lonely at home...'

and

'A prune isn't really a vegetable...
Cabbage is a vegetable...'

Took me years to figure that a Brussels sprout (which I dig) is an apprentice cabbage (which I don't), a cabbage in training, understudy to its bigger cousin, and so on. My wife makes a rad Brussel sprouts in cheese sauce dish BTW.

I'll show myself out, as an eminent contributor to this forum put it.

'Call any vegetable
Pick up your phone
Think of a vegetable
Lonely at home...'

and

'A prune isn't really a vegetable...
Cabbage is a vegetable...'

Took me years to figure that a Brussels sprout (which I dig) is an apprentice cabbage (which I don't), a cabbage in training, understudy to its bigger cousin, and so on. My wife makes a rad Brussel sprouts in cheese sauce dish BTW.

I'll show myself out, as an eminent contributor to this forum put it.

Ever see how the grow?…

Back