Madbean Fuzzy Britches

Harry Klippton

Here's my last build of 2022. @madbeanpedals fuzzy britches built to the Jordan Bosstone spec.

I made some modifications to this Robert Crumb drawing from the cover of Big Brother and the Holding Company's album Cheap Thrills. My parents were uptight and disliked music when I was growing up, yet my mom had a copy of this record. It made a lasting impression on my preteen brain. James Gurly and Sam Andrews reportedly used Bosstones in those days with big fender amps and teles, later switching to SGs. This pedal sounds great into a clean amp with my tele. I'm diggin it! IMG_20221230_231909124.jpg signal-2022-12-31-12-24-18-866.jpg

You've cited the artist whose work you used!

giphy.gif

Awesome build! I have a Fuzzy Britches board I’m eager to build, but I keep putting it off— this reminds me I need to move it to the front of the enclosure queue.
Not much a fan of Janis Joplin, but I am a big fan of R. Crumb’s work (outside of the weird misogyny and racism in a lot of his stuff). Definitely an odd figure…
But an undeniably important pioneer in the legitimization of comic stylings in the art world. You ever see his documentary from the 90s?

Awesome build! I have a Fuzzy Britches board I’m eager to build, but I keep putting it off— this reminds me I need to move it to the front of the enclosure queue.
Not much a fan of Janis Joplin, but I am a big fan of R. Crumb’s work (outside of the weird misogyny and racism in a lot of his stuff). Definitely an odd figure…
But an undeniably important pioneer in the legitimization of comic stylings in the art world. You ever see his documentary from the 90s?
I haven't seen it. Is it worth watching for someone who only watches maybe 10 hours in a year?

I haven't seen it. Is it worth watching for someone who only watches maybe 10 hours in a year?
I say yes, it is worth watching, you'll still have about 8 hours of other stuff to watch.
While well lauded, I wouldn't say it's the greatest documentary of all time — that's subjective anyway.
Since you liked the art enough to borrow it, definitely you should check out the documentary. I saw it in the theatre on the big screen; whereas you'll most likely be able to turn it off if you decide it's not for you.

I really liked R Crumb & the Cheap Suit Serenaders, they do flapper-era+ covers such as Harry Roy's 1931 hit:

I'm sure I've seen some live footage of him with the Cheap Suit Serenaders playing that song, but I couldn'f find it.

Back