DEMO Madbean Pedals Anamorph stereo analog delay

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Hello Darkness my old friend. There is nothing like the warm dark repeats of an analog delay. The way they melt into each other and obscure into the background. This is my final build of the year and it was worth the wait. When Brian teased this I was intrigued and after talking to him about it I knew I had to build it. @bean labored over this build tweaking values in different circuit blocks to make it as close to perfect as possible and this is some of his best work.

The anamorph is a mashup of ideas. To me it's the perfect analog delay and ticks so many boxes. At its core it a DM-2 with the clock and modulation of the DMM, with many refinements along the way. It has stereo outputs, the most lush organic modulation, a modified clock circuit and higher headroom. The changes made to the compander maximize headroom along with the charge pump and 15v internal voltage. So how does it sound?

Glorious.

The best of both the DM-2 and DMM is on display at all times. The higher headroom of the memory man mixed with the darker repeats of the DM-2 make for a delay that is darker but never too dark and articulate without the hiss and noise floor. A better range on the feedback control. The modulation feels organic and doesn't feel like it was tacked on like the optical options. The option for tails or regular bypass is great to have internally since most people will set and forget. The stereo spread on this is nice and full sounding. Such an inspired sound.

The build itself was very straightforward and the clock changes not only made it cheaper but calibration was very simple. Excellent layout. I went with a cream tayda enclosure and UV print. For my graphics I went with Eternity as it truly represented the sound and feel of this pedal. I used the standard Boss font with the echo/chorus/vibrato ehx moniker to portray the beautiful collision of circuits. For the demo I used the pedal in stereo straight into my interface with the outputs panned left and right while using amp sims much to my distaste, but I don't have a stereo amp rig. Build this!
kWQ61kC.jpg
zOw3Lyi.jpg
DhCAvFK.jpeg
RCPdj69.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_9981.gif

I lover everything about this! The only thing that could have made this more perfect ( is that even possible?) would be stereo inputs but you know me, show me a golden egg I’m gonna want two of them…🤣. This is awesome build and demo. You always set the bar a little higher every time. And this was no exception

That's so good, Chris! Demo slays.
Thanks John, it knocked all other delay off the board.
View attachment 63587

I lover everything about this! The only thing that could have made this more perfect ( is that even possible?) would be stereo inputs but you know me, show me a golden egg I’m gonna want two of them…🤣. This is awesome build and demo. You always set the bar a little higher every time. And this was no exception
Thanks Rob, I feel like you raise the bar, I'm just walking under where you set it 😂

Thanks John, it knocked all other delay off the board.

Thanks Rob, I feel like you raise the bar, I'm just walking under where you set it 😂
Not to derail your report but, you have always pushed and challenged me to do better work, if not directly, indirectly, and its awesome if I can do the same for you or anyone else… that’s
IMG_0116.gif
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not to derail your report but, you have always pushed and challenged me to do better work, if not directly, indirectly, and its awesome if I can do the same for you or anyone else… that’s
View attachment 63595
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll keep it derailed and second this about you both (and others). Seeing these kinds of builds is the best kind of cooperative challenge. It's, well, seeing a killer build is like…
4LuGXCe.gif

Yeah.

You can see why I want to take my builds to the next level, graphics wise.

And wiring wise.

And attention to details wise.

And choice of circuits to build wise.

And...

If his builds were how he played in jazz circles he'd be called a "mother#^@%ER", so yeah...

Still, there should be only so much you can raise the bar every freq'n time. I'm watching/waiting for the law of diminishing returns to apply to GOTA's builds.

Yeah.

You can see why I want to take my builds to the next level, graphics wise.

And wiring wise.

And attention to details wise.

And choice of circuits to build wise.

And...

If his builds were how he played in jazz circles he'd be called a "mother#^@%ER", so yeah...

Still, there should be only so much you can raise the bar every freq'n time. I'm watching/waiting for the law of diminishing returns to apply to GOTA's builds.
It was a conscious effort to take building more seriously after I built the ehx stuff. But that means doing things that no one will ever see, but I know it's there. Like grounding all the jacks together to keep things clean. Only the slightest hint of it is visible. I love the little things like this that only I know about 😂
1000010400.jpg 1000010566.png

But now WE all know so you've RUINED IT!
It was a conscious effort to take building more seriously after I built the ehx stuff. But that means doing things that no one will ever see, but I know it's there. Like grounding all the jacks together to keep things clean. Only the slightest hint of it is visible. I love the little things like this that only I know about 😂
View attachment 63619View attachment 63620

There is a feeling of "vintage futuristic" when I look at your pedals... the graphics, the font, the knobs.
Great build report!
Reminds me of building the current lover.
Lots of bits to find and solder, but in the end, very much worth it.
Thank you you for sharing!

Very nice! How do you like it compared to the Ghosty DM-3 build? Sounds quite a lot darker in the demo at least.

Back