MBP Cosmopolitan

spi

I've built a handful of fuzzes, and while they've all had their charms, I'm not a regular fuzz user. When I built the Fuzz Aldrin, I found it way more versatile, mostly because while it does the fuzz thing, dialing back the fuzz yields some great overdrive/distortion sounds that rivaled any of my other overdrives.

When I learned the Screwdriver is an overdrive based on the same circuit as the Lunar Module, I needed to get it. You can build it right on the Fuzz Aldrin PCB if you want (ChuckDBones has a thread where he explains the mods). But Madbeans already offers a board based on the Screwdriver called the Cosmopolitan, so I got it from him.

The main change between Lunar Module and Screwdriver is the first stage transistor is a mosfet, and the last stage transistor is a Ge. For the latter, I used a 2n169 with a gain of 63 Hfe, which comes dressed in a nice black tophat (it looks like a tele switch :)).

And it sounds like the overdrive cousin of the Fuzz Aldrin, exactly what I was hoping for. The texture of the gain and tone are very tweakable.

IMG_20230923_143337551.jpg

IMG_20230923_143350775.jpg

Back