DEMO Mesmerizer Harmonic Frequency Modulator

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So, I started with a stock Mesmerizer board, and honestly feel it's pretty underwhelming, so I started tinkering with it. Didn't change too much on board- swapped D1 and D2 for 1n60p as the other silicons I'd tried were kinda neutering the sweep and throb. D9K also worked well here. I also replaced C12 with a 2p4t to give a range of speeds. So it still has the stock 4.7u, but gives the option of increasing the speed range of the main LFO with a 470n, 47n, and 4.7n. This allows for it's normal speed range, but also let's it get into FM territory, giving pseudo ringmod and aliaser tones. It can get quite noisy and unpleasant now. The toggle switch shorts either pin 15 or 16 to ground to change the symmetry, in the center is stock

You'll notice the Parasit Modboard. This has had it's LDR placed parallel with the Rate pot, and is defeatable with the toggle. This basically just sweeps the Rate pot automatically, and it's range is set by the main LFO speed, allowing stutters and patterns. The only mods to this board were replacing the 47n timing cap with a 22n, though I'm considering making this switchable as well. I used a VTL5C9 for the vactrol just because I have a ton of them

received_448098657269091.jpeg Here's a a not so short, sounds only demo. I focus more on the mod sounds than stock. I just slapped it together, but I might make a nicer demo, if I can find the motivation

Attachments

• received_557121546155665.jpeg
    received_557121546155665.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11
This is wonderful. It’s great that you are able to transform an already lovely effect into something so beautifully different!

I’d love to see (and hear) a thread on other popular pedals that have been transposed into different beasts.

This is wonderful. It’s great that you are able to transform an already lovely effect into something so beautifully different!

I’d love to see (and hear) a thread on other popular pedals that have been transposed into different beasts.

My motivation for messing with this particular circuit was because I didn't really care for it stock 😅

A thread or subforum for bends and hacks would be awesome, as that's one of my favorite ways to do builds lately

MODDING!!
Man, that's what DIY is all about!

I hardly build anything completely stock (which is probably why I have a growing debugging pile, too).
I mean, circuit's either not right for bass or I think "Hey, you could have a footswitch to have [insert mod here, such as: Fast/Slow, asymmetrical/symmetrical, EQ change/bypass etc... ]. I'm always looking for some way to put my stamp on it. Stink on it. Something on it...

MODDING!!
Man, that's what DIY is all about!

I hardly build anything completely stock (which is probably why I have a growing debugging pile, too).
I mean, circuit's either not right for bass or I think "Hey, you could have a footswitch to have [insert mod here, such as: Fast/Slow, asymmetrical/symmetrical, EQ change/bypass etc... ]. I'm always looking for some way to put my stamp on it. Stink on it. Something on it...

Thats kinda how I am. But, mostly I just like to push things as far as they can go.

I probably should've just gotten into modular synths, but here I am, pretending I know how to hold a guitar 😅

Back