Mini Rotary Switch board

Blooze

Does anyone make a small breakout board for the little 8 pin mini rotary switches? I’ve seen the Rototone boards but that’s way more and bigger than I want. They are a pita to solder leads to (r.e. I just ruin em too easy).

Just to be sure l, do you mean the 9pin rotates (8 positions)? If so I have that footprint in diptrace and could design and have some pcbs shipped to you. Unless of course PPCB wants to make one.

Ah ok. That one has 10 pins, right? Are you thinking just a board that mounts the switch and then 10 wire pad holes for easily attaching wires?

That’s been one of the features I’ve liked with the Aion projects I’ve built. It adds some extra off board wiring (but can be done on their boards with .1 header strip, so it’s neat and fast. In the case of those projects, the switch Aion used is deeper than pots and mini pc mount toggles, so it’s pretty necessary.

That’s been one of the features I’ve liked with the Aion projects I’ve built. It adds some extra off board wiring (but can be done on their boards with .1 header strip, so it’s neat and fast. In the case of those projects, the switch Aion used is deeper than pots and mini pc mount toggles, so it’s pretty necessary.
I’ve got several protoboard builds I could use these for. They are just somewhat delicate and a little too long on the heat kills them. Hopefully a pcb would keep me from ruining to many. They are the only switch’s I’ve ever had issues with.

I'll see if I can work something up, I have a bunch of breakout boards I need to order so that'll bulk up the batch a bit.

Actually scratch that, I already have one in queue.

As far as defects, make sure you always measure those before using them.... I spent several days troubleshooting the Equilux prototype only to find out I had two bad 2P4T rotary switches... Like you, I assumed I had overheated them, so I replaced them very carefully soldering the new ones, only to have similar symptoms.... Finally had sense enough to check them before installing and discovered that around 30% of them are defective out of the box. I've had to sit down and measure each one by hand and toss the defects.

Needless to say, I'm not particularly enthused about ordering more and have been looking into an alternate switch for future projects.

Never had any issues with the 1P8T, only the 2P4T.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can work something up, I have a bunch of breakout boards I need to order so that'll bulk up the batch a bit.

Actually scratch that, I already have one in queue.

As far as defects, make sure you always measure those before using them.... I spent several days troubleshooting the Equilux prototype only to find out I had two bad 2P4T rotary switches... Like you, I assumed I had overheated them, so I replaced them very carefully soldering the new ones, only to have similar symptoms.... Finally had sense enough to check them before installing and discovered that around 30% of them are defective out of the box. I've had to sit down and measure each one by hand and toss the defects.

Needless to say, I'm not particularly enthused about ordering more and have been looking into an alternate switch for future projects.

Never had any issues with the 1P8T, only the 2P4T.
Boards for the 2P4T and the 1P8T would be great. Finding a switch that is small and not taking up a huge amount of space is a PITA.

Back