Modus Operandi Boost (Jackson Audio Amp Mode)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Yes, another boost pedal:) But it's all I had time for.

Been crazy busy with work (gawd is it only Tuesday?) I'm going cross eyed looking at presentation decks.
Had a meeting with the COO this afternoon to go over a deck for an enablement session I have to do for our global sales teams.
He was like "Mike, this looks great! I like it! Here's a couple of things I'd like to change...."....which amounted to 75% of the deck that I have to rework....sigh.....

Anyway, I took a break at 5pm, went out to my workbench and knocked out this simple little Mosfet boost in about an hour. I wasn't intending to build it, I was just planning to drill a couple of enclosures, one thing led to another and voila!

So this boost was recommended to me by both @PedalPCB an @szukalski. Deceptively simple and nothing immediately jumps out at you when you turn it on.
But AB'ing it, on/off and pushing another overdrive, there's some really cool harmonic richness that it adds. Overall I would categorize it as a neutral sounding, transparent boost. But it definitely has the stones to push an amp pretty hard.

This is the boost circuit from the Jackson Audio Prism, which I'd love to see a PPCB project for. Sounds like a really cool preamp pedal.

Anyway, the Modus Operandi also has a buffered out so turned all the way down its not quite unity, there's a slight bump but it also acts as a clean buffer.

This is a "utility" pedal for me as a stacker, overdrive shaper, I decided go with bare metal simplicity with it. The amp knob, well because it's called the Amp Mode, right? Great sounding boost! Super easy build. Love the top located In/Out pads on the PCB. Makes wiring the 3DPT board even easier than it already is.

Nice short wire runs to the jacks.

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

Another nice one!

It's my favourite boost (thus far), just pushes the signal a bit without adding too much of it's own. I changed my knob to a chickenhead so I can adjust easily with my feet whilst playing. I tend to switch between 30% and 70% on, depending on where/what I'm doing. I am wondering if I can implement this with an intelligent relay.. that'd be nifty.

.......not to track your costs.....
That's never been my problem. I am very good at compartmentalizing left brain/right brain activities....to the point that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing........thats how I wound up with so many guitars....... :ROFLMAO: (one of those hands is usually clenching the credit card)

this one seems similar to the EQD Speaker Cranker as far as what the knob is doing, do you like the sweep of the C5K pot?
Seems ok the way I use it. I don't tend to fret too much about taper as I find my sweet spot and pretty much park it there. Right now I just have it a "skootch" above unity gain and stack it between compressor and overdrive. I thought the Cranker was an overdrive pedal? Maybe I need to look at it closer.

That's exactly what this is. SHO into a buffer with a low pass filter at the end. Corner frequency is about 10kHz

Back