Mojito: It’s better than the hype!

Dan M

I finally got around to finishing this one, and all I can say is the Mojo is real. The sound stays full and warm as you raise the gain.

The boost is really good. It seems integrated like it’s supposed to be there, as opposed to an afterthought.

It goes from booster to warm OD to Dopesmoker to High on Fire. All without fizzing out as the gain goes up. And then you kick in the boost and it still retains the tone and doesn’t fizz out.

I used MPF4393’s from AionFX.

This pedal is a beast.
6CA5AB26-B470-460E-A239-112A872E6F4F.jpeg

240DD7B7-4D4F-4798-894B-99AF11161F6E.jpeg

Oh man, this is in my big "pile 'o' boards", I may have to bump it up this week. I actually finally tracked down a CA3130EZ for it.
Actually, I tracked down two types, I found the SMD version at Mouser before finding the PDIP version at SmallBear.

Great looking build!

Is this at all similar to the Viceroy?

The circuit diagrams look quite different, but I haven't built a Viceroy.

Your comment caused me to read this thread, and now I want to build one:

I did, but I won them in a contest. I'm only seeing them on ebay now
I went through all the old threads on BA482 subs, then went through my stash of stuff. I have some options, including using JFETs and BJT's, the MSPA18's come pretty close. But turns out the MA858's I had left over from my KOT builds are the closest thing to the BA482's Vf so I'll try those first. Planning to socket.

Edit: PS-the Mojito is on my bench right now, looking forward to getting it put together.

I went through all the old threads on BA482 subs, then went through my stash of stuff. I have some options, including using JFETs and BJT's, the MSPA18's come pretty close. But turns out the MA858's I had left over from my KOT builds are the closest thing to the BA482's Vf so I'll try those first. Planning to socket.

Edit: PS-the Mojito is on my bench right now, looking forward to getting it put together.
That's funny, I think I subbed BA482's for the MA858's on the last KOT I built!

Reactions: fig
I checked my inventory, I have 2 CA3130EZ chips, but one is already spoken for by another build.

Actually, I see in my notes I have several builds in the queue that take this IC. The LM301 can sub in some cases.

Reactions: fig
Back