Muffin Factory 106NU70 Transistor Substitute

jeffhess74

I'm preparing to order and build the Muffin Factory. I've sourced all the parts from Tayda.com except for the 106NU70 transistor. I'm having a hard to finding these. Is there a alternate, similar transistor that can be substituted. Sorry if this is an obvious question—I'm relatively new to electronics/pedal building.

Any help appreciated.

I don't but I see the need.
You can figure out hfe and leakage other ways, but a tester is a worthwhile investment.

Some lots of transistors are remarkably consistent … others not so much. I’ve had a couple good results (believe it or not) just picking at random without testing but most often that approach results in a bad bad. I don’t love sockets for transistors. This may be a good time to use them tho.

There was a Tayda drill template floating around here somewhere so you didn't have to fool with manually drilling the rectangles.

EDIT: Found it.

The most important thing is to make sure you have the dipswitch module installed correctly and aligned so the dipswitches are at an acceptable height (and level) before soldering the pinheaders to the main PCB. You really don't want to have to remove that once it's soldered in place.

When Small Bear sends you transistors, you never get the exact hfe your hoping to get when you buy. They ALWAYS send you a range of hfe. The only way you can get something specifically tested it to buy their single/double packs which are usually specifically for a certain circuit like a Fuzz Face. Still a good option for transistors though, it's just a crap shoot.

Well, I got it all together and it works. I socketed the GE transistors and does anyone know what the 39nF cap does? Got to design a graphic and get some better knobs for it but it's together at least.

I haven't fiddled with the settings yet but out of the gait it seems to have an overall dark tone. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• DF8D1687-3594-46B9-BD7C-B30670FD83EA.jpeg
    DF8D1687-3594-46B9-BD7C-B30670FD83EA.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Nic
Back