Muffin Factory Settings Reference Chart

Aentons

I made a spreadsheet of the values of different versions of Big Muffs and how the switches on the Muffin Factory should be set for the closest value to each version. I also added the Muffin Fuzz schematic references. This chart may be helpful to build your Muffin Factory or Muffin Fuzz with values more specific to versions you like.

I'll be going thru the Kit Rae site and adding more as time goes by, so check back for more. If there is a specific variant that you would like added that is not on the Kit Rae site, please post a link to the schematic.

Note*** Most common variant of each version indicated in bold

Edits:
2023-11-30 - most common variants up to V9 added

Last edited:
I made a spreadsheet of the values of different versions of Big Muffs and how the switches on the Muffin Factory should be set for the closest value to each version. I also added the Muffin Fuzz schematic references. This chart may be helpful to build your Muffin Factory or Muffin Fuzz with values more specific to versions you like.

I'll be going thru the Kit Rae site and adding more as time goes by, so check back for more. If there is a specific variant that you would like added that is not on the Kit Rae site, please post a link to the schematic.

Now, I am wishing that I ordered a Muffin Factory with my order from yesterday..... Great idea. Maybe, I'll get it next time...

Incredible job, thank you for putting this together! Might be the kick in the ass I finally need to finish up my muffin factory build

Thank you Aentons!

There used to be a spreadsheet for the Mudbunny/Rabbit Hole (MBP Muff) floating about the ethers, originating from Juan Solo. Can't find it now, but I think I made a PDF on my old computer.

Here's a broad generalisation by Kit Rae of the different era-versions:

Thank you Aentons!

There used to be a spreadsheet for the Mudbunny/Rabbit Hole (MBP Muff) floating about the ethers, originating from Juan Solo. Can't find it now, but I think I made a PDF on my old computer.

Here's a broad generalisation by Kit Rae of the different era-versions:
This?

Or

Attachments

• Big Muff Versions.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 27
This thread has me over here comparing my muffactory to my other muffs. I found absolutely no way to make my factory sound anything like my old green sovtek. The greenie has so much more low end and the tone pot has a broader range with the back half admittedly being mostly mud. This was the thickest setting I could find on the factory after much fiddling.
20231201_173259.jpg
The only pedal I've found that can compare is the widowgast which has even more lows at the most extreme settings. It has a wide range of useable tonal options while the sovtek is mostly one glorious setting. The differences between all 3 go way beyond the low end but I don't need to go and write a muff novel.

I think I'm just trying to warn anyone who assumes that since the factory has a thousand settings it is therfore able to do everything, this is very much not the case for my build.

This thread has me over here comparing my muffactory to my other muffs. I found absolutely no way to make my factory sound anything like my old green sovtek. The greenie has so much more low end and the tone pot has a broader range with the back half admittedly being mostly mud. This was the thickest setting I could find on the factory after much fiddling.
View attachment 62111
The only pedal I've found that can compare is the widowgast which has even more lows at the most extreme settings. It has a wide range of useable tonal options while the sovtek is mostly one glorious setting. The differences between all 3 go way beyond the low end but I don't need to go and write a muff novel.

I think I'm just trying to warn anyone who assumes that since the factory has a thousand settings it is therfore able to do everything, this is very much not the case for my build.
Yep, this is exactly why I'm doing the chart before I build mine.

I'm curious about the reasoning behind some of the value choices on the switches. The 45n8 ON cap value for the Tone High C switch I think might be a mistake.

"switch it up" he says, but he doesn't say which switch. Or did he mean one of the dip-switches, or ... all switches all up?

Yokin acide, it's always been my intention to do make my Muffin Factory a Kustom jobby.

This?

Or
Nope, as stated, the one I'm thinking of was for the Mudbunny, MadBeanPedals.

I've added your Aion one to my Muff n Around folder. Merci Beaucoup!

Edit found the MBP ref-des PDF I made, but the URL is defunct so I made a JPG which had crappy resolution so...
A screen-grab of the PDF and Juansolo's your uncle:

MUFF VERSIONS JUANSOLO MBP REF DES.png

Here's the Key to the blue-highlighted bits:

[1]
John Arnold:
This is inline with R6. The line is then pulled from between. As the Mudbunny doesn't support this, use a 10k as R22 instead

[2]
John Arnold:
Leave leads long on R23 and put 10uF electrolytic cap and 2k resistor in series across them. In that order, towards ground.

[3]
John Arnold:
From tone 2 pad to pot

[4]
John Arnold:
0R can be a jumper

[5]
John Arnold:
Switched in parallel with R2

[6]
John Arnold:
Lift one end of R18 and run a wire from the resistor to pin 2. Connect other pad to pin 1.

[7]
John Arnold:
Pins 3&2 linked

[8]
John Arnold:
Pin 3&2 linked. B50K pot will be ok.

[9]
John Arnold:
Pot used in place of R19 wired to pins 1&2. Pin 3 is not connected

[10]
John Arnold:
Pin 3&2 linked

[11]
John Arnold:
Connect in parallel with C10. The tone side goes though a 33nF cap to pin 3 of the pot. Pins 1&2 connect to the other side.

[12]
John Arnold:
negative towards R2

[13]
John Arnold:
negative towards R2

[14]
John Arnold:
Ceramic. C15 when blanked should be omitted, not jumpered

[15]
John Arnold:
P19 uses 50KB tone pot

[16]
John Arnold:
DPDT on/off/on wired in parallel with a 2.2nF on one side and a 6.8nF on the other

[17]
John Arnold:
With additional 6.8nF wired in parallel on a switch

[18]
John Arnold:
Between tone 2 and ground

[19]
John Arnold:
Between sustain pins 3 and 2
http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm Page 2 of 3
27/5/16 3:23 am

[20]
John Arnold:
Between volume pins 3 and 1

[21]
John Arnold:
Switched with D3&4

[22]
John Arnold:
Covered by the Schottky in R24

Last edited:
View attachment 62111

have you traced the sovtec to work out what it is you would need to do to recreate it?

in a "it will be good for bass guitar" way, or a "the PA guy will hate you" way?
YES!

same-same. Except, it's -40º, not...

kmfxawoiewl31.jpg

Interesting thread - thanks for the mention @darwin999. I hadn't seen any other component tables before, which is why I put mine together (based on the awesome work of Kit Rae, the world foremost Big Muff aficionado).

I stuck to EHX for my chart, I may expand it with a few more options at some stage, but that could be an endless job.

Last edited:
Back