SOLVED Muffin Fuzz - No guitar signal passes when bypassed or when engaged

mmthmj

Hello!

I just built a Muffin Fuzz, and no guitar signal will pass in bypass or when the pedal is engaged. When I engage the pedal, the LED turns on, and if I crank the Volume and Gain, I can hear the non-signal, hissing white noise (no guitar) intensify. The Tone knob affects that sound too. but there is no guitar signal coming through at all. So it seems that this is somehow related to the offboard wiring from the input side, but I'm not sure if there are any obvious culprits, or if I should just redo all the footswitch/jack wiring.

Here are some pictures, apologies for the poor quality.

IMG_6190 (1).jpg

IMG_6191 (1).jpg

IMG_6192 (1).jpg

Thanks in advance! I will be out of the house this afternoon/tomorrow so I may be delayed in responses.

Dang it looked like that was really the problem. I slid some small pieces of paper between the jack and the enclosure and also between the jack and the power supply nut. Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. I may need to redo some of the wiring connecting the jack to the PCB/footswitch.

Dang it looked like that was really the problem. I slid some small pieces of paper between the jack and the enclosure and also between the jack and the power supply nut. Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. I may need to redo some of the wiring connecting the jack to the PCB/footswitch.

Do you get guitar signal in bypass?

No guitar signal in bypass or when engaged 😟

Turning up the knobs when engaged does add gain/volume to the hiss, but there's still no guitar signal coming through.

Does your LED work? It looks like maybe your DC jack positive is wired to the ring instead of the tip.

Try uninstalling the I/O jacks from the enclosure and see if that changes anything. Be sure that your input and output cables are connected to the correct jacks. If there are no changes there, verify that your switch connections are correct and solidly connected. Then, verify that the switch is indeed working by testing for continuity between the poles in both switch positions.

Wow I feel silly. It was definitely the input jack touching the enclosure somewhere. After removing the jack from the enclosure and getting guitar signal, I did a more thorough job of insulating the problem areas with some bits of paper. The pedal now works great.

Thanks again to everyone for the noob assistance, and to @PedalPCB for immediately seeing the problem.

Back