Muffler Noise Gate

Mourguitars

I socketed my Q1-Q3 and picked the pedal up and heard a rattle and one fell out , so i wanted to test to see if they were reading right since they were loose in the sockets, got weird readings , sent this to CDB had me try a few things and wanted me to move it here...
here's what i sent CDB

his reply to check......

Going left to right...
Q1-E This reading makes no sense. Should be 0.6V lower than Q1-B
Q1-B Correct
Q1-C Correct
Q2-E Correct
Q2-B Correct, your meter is loading it down a little.
Q2-C Correct
Q3-D Wrong, should be near 5V, maybe a little lower from meter loading.
Q3-S Wrong, should be 5V (Vref_B)
Q3-G Correct, same voltage as Q2-C

I can't tell you why they are wrong. Dirty board? ( no triple checked ) Short somewhere? (looked every where , none that i see) Verify R3 is 22K. (did ) You can measure it in-circuit, just power off and pull Q1 out of the socket. reading below

R3 is reading 21.7

triple checked board for any flux or shorts....

Mike

I enjoy helping. I learn stuff here too. I like troubleshooting. All I ask is that you meet me half-way. Try to do a good job soldering and cleaning your board. Take pictures that have enough detail that we can read the resistors and tell which way the ICs are facing. If you do sloppy work, it leaves me with the impression you don't give a shit. I know that not everyone is going to develop the level of skill or dedication to build stuff like the master builders here (you know who I'm talking about), but it's a worthy goal and everyone should give it their best effort.

I used to work at a large aerospace firm. The design and build quality there was top shelf all the way. Had to be. We put stuff in space and it had to work for 10 years or more. I recall sending a piece of test gear that a new guy had built to Helen, our inspector, for buy-off. The build quality was pretty bad and I should have known better than to show it to her. She was truly offended that anyone would have the gall put something like that on her workbench. Everybody in the manufacturing area heard Helen tell me in no uncertain terms to "Git that bullshit outta here!"

Well I am glad you are here to help with troubleshooting, you are at truly an asset to the forum. And I learn a lot from you!

Back