Multimeter has dropped continuity testing?

comradehoser

I loaned my multimeter (Mestek DM100C--hopefully the purchase wasn't ................ a Mestek) for continuity tests/electrical current testing to a 5th grade classroom, and when I got it back, the continuity function had ceased to function. No readings, no beeps. Still tests ohms/resistance, though.

Changed out batteries, DeOxit in the terminal ports, tested terminals. Makes me think the students messed about with the settings pressing buttons and whatnot. Is there usually a factory reset option in DMMs?

Have you tried removing the batteries for a few minutes then putting them back in

If it’s still reading resistance it’s still testing continuity. You’re just not getting the beep.

Right, except it's not putting up any continuity readings on anything. Nothing on probe-to-probe, I even did probe-to-socket.

I will try the batteries out, though, thank you.

My meter had an intermittent beep and worked when I pushed the leads in more securely I changed the probes and its been fine since

I did examine the probe sockets and one wasn't quite snapping in securely the metal part in the probe socket was faulty although I can't remember exactly what the problem was

There's also a piezo buzzer inside its possible the solder joints have loosened or cracked on its wires

Set it to measure resistance then touch the leads firmly together.

Are you reading near 0 ohms? If there's a bad connection somewhere the resistance could be off by just enough to not be considered "continuity", but not far enough to throw off the measurement of a higher resistance.

Resistance measures 0.2 ohms.

Did the batteries-out thing, and it worked... kinda. Selector dial calls up continuity/diode measure a few times, then gets stuck on some type of measure with Hertz which makes continuity inert again. Might be a bad or shorted connections in the selector switch, maybe?

Anyway, that AstroAI looks mighty tempting.

Always crappy when a good deed bites ya. Hopefully the kiddos learned something. Maybe if you haven’t already try fresh batteries. Though yea seems odd it’s randomly switch to frequency that would make any difference.

Yeah, batteries were fresh... oh well. Apparently, it's not the best multimeter after reading a dude's circuit takedown online. Who knew there were people heavily invested in multimeter circuitry design. Maybe there's a whole website out there named MultimeterPCB run by a guy named Bob.

It was a Mestek to buy it after all. :ROFLMAO:
The pun never gets old.

It was a unit on the chemistry of food and classification of matter. They were using the MM to (not very scientifically) measure electrical conductivity of food ingredients as part of the observable traits of matter to classify and group. Potatoes are highly conductive!

I am not sure where the Chinese companies get their names. Kaiweets? Aneng? Zotek? Crenova? Eaglotest? Plusivo? They might be transliterations of Chinese words, or maybe what they think sounds good to English ears.

I guess Mouser isn't significantly stranger.

Fluke is the only brand DMM I'll buy. Maybe I'm stuck in my old ways but they are the standard in my mind, right down to the specific beep the continuity test makes.

They just work. I found my Fluke 73 in a barn.

Back