Muroidea [2nd build]

jcpst

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This thing is great. In my band I’ve been using a vintage Rat reissue that a country player I gigged with gave me back in the day.

I was initially concerned about finding a real 308 because that’s what’s on the BOM and my own Rat has a LM308.

I decided to trust the first reviewer- they used a TL071. This turned out to be a great choice.

I A/B tested the with my Rat, and it was definitely close enough that I didn’t mind. In fact, I had think this actually sounds a little better. The noise floor is lower and the filter seems to have more usable range.

So it’s replacing my giant Rat and it’s the firdt build that made a home on my pedalboard.

I put the drill template on slightly off-center, but that’s ok. I also apparently put the LED in wrong too. That’s also ok- my other rat doesn’t even have an LED! 😆

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 49
Why thank you. It wasn’t without at least one really foolish mistake though 😆

View attachment 68823
Were you able to desolder that or did you have to use another one? I’m decent at desoldering but wouldn’t want to tackle that one.

Foolish mistakes are a sign that you are trying things that are new and difficult. I personally try to embrace them. I recently was putting a 6 knob pedal together late at night and realized I had soldered the whole bottom row of knobs on upside down.

1708282305363.jpeg
This thing is a real lifesaver in those cases. Works well on lead free solder also unlike my experience with the desoldering braid.

Fortunately I had another one. I have a wick for simple mistakes, but it’s become apparent to me that I should pick up a solder sucker.

I have a small box that is basically my “come back to these when you have a solder sucker” box.

You could still use the "upside down" 3PDT, just gotta make sure you wire it correctly to the PCB — the wires will cross each other and not look as tidy, but better to use it than throw it away or risk toasting the 3PDT trying to desolder — and then having to throw it away.

Even though labelled, it is still ambiguous. "This side down" — okay, when looking at the guts or when the pedal is right-way up on the pedalboard?

It's all relative.

Like a bass boost switch — do you orient the toggle so it flicks up for BASS BOOST ON, or do you have "Treble" toggle-up and "BASS BOOST ON" toggle-down ... ?

In the North-Western Hemisphere, you turn on a lightswitch by flicking it up, but in many parts of Asia (and Europe?), you turn the light on by flicking the switch down.

Relativity.

albert-einstein.jpg

I love the Muroidea as well. Absolutely stands up to the vintage RAT for sure. I’ve yet to try it with a TL071. I’ve tried a TL072. I actually really like a 741 in it. Makes it a little lower gain, and not quite the same feeling of sag, but I like it as an alternate option.

I love the Muroidea as well. Absolutely stands up to the vintage RAT for sure. I’ve yet to try it with a TL071. I’ve tried a TL072. I actually really like a 741 in it. Makes it a little lower gain, and not quite the same feeling of sag, but I like it as an alternate option.
The TL072 isn’t a dual Op amp?

@hamerfan you know, I was typing that while away from home. I did a little googling, and I think I need to check when I get home. I might have been using the wrong op amp. The 72 is definitely the dual op amp version. Not sure if I was mixed up or using the wrong op amp😬

Back