SOLVED Muzzle Not working

Skeletor

Hey everyone. So I finally finished up my muzzle build AND.....it's not working! Big surprise, huh?! Lol

So, the problem is that there is no audio. The led comes on red, but stays red. It goes off when turning the pedal off. That's about all I got. What should my next move be in terms of trouble shooting it?

EDIT: with you all's help, I was able to get it working. I had the jacks "all jacked up!" (See what I did there?)

Once I got those straightened out, it came to life. Muzzle is definitely a keeper.

Thank you all so much for your help! On to my next build!

Last edited:
Visually check your wiring and all component values and orientation

Do you get bypass signal or nothing at all in both 3PDT positions

Post some nice clear pics so we can see all component values and trace your wiring

I hope these are clear enough. Best I could get before work this morning.

I got lucky on my first pedal and didn't have too many issues. I just don't have enough experience or knowledge to k ow where to begin troubleshooting circuits.

Thank you for your consideration!

The two outer pads for the key jack need to be jumpered together if the jack isn't installed.

I did/do have them, but I had to take them out to remove the board from the enclosure to take pictures and begin trouble shooting.

I did have to cut one of the unused terminals off of the jacks to make it fit (hope that wasnt an error). To keep it from contacting the ic. It was a tight fit to get it into thr enclosure, but it did fit.

One question I did have was whether or not I had the jacks wired properly. I wasn't sure which to use, so I picked one that looked like a sleeve and one that looked like a tip. I think these are stereo plugs, but i only used two connections.

Visually check your wiring and all component values and orientation

Do you get bypass signal or nothing at all in both 3PDT positions

Post some nice clear pics so we can see all component values and trace your wiring

I must have missed this earlier. There is no sound at all. It does not matter if thr pedal is on or bypassed.

Are your jacks wired correctly

Your in jack doesn't look right looks like it's connected to the switched tip

View attachment 25277

. Which ones should I have it connected to?

I had them all wired the same. The jack was oriented so the flat part was up and to the right. Then I had the ground wire to that jack and then another to thr jack that would have been on the top or the switched tip per this diagram.

. Which ones should I have it connected to?

I had them all wired the same. The jack was oriented so the flat part was up and to the right. Then I had the ground wire to that jack and then another to thr jack that would have been on the top or the switched tip per this diagram.
I'm surprised that no one has said this!
You really need to CLEAN the Board, Lots of flux & residue!!!
Your jacks are wired wrong, shoud be Ground to Sleeve, Input & Output to Tip.

I'm surprised that no one has said this!
You really need to CLEAN the Board, Lots of flux & residue!!!
Your jacks are wired wrong, shoud be Ground to Sleeve, Input & Output to Tip.
So it's to the tip and NoT the switched tip?

Is that the same for the key jacks?

Also, I've seen stuff about cleaning the board, but wasn't sure I'd thay was just aesthtics or necessary.

Also, I've seen stuff about cleaning the board, but wasn't sure I'd thay was just aesthtics or necessary.
You shrink your Picture to Actual size & see how much that stuff is touching from one pad to the next.
It's crucial to any build to clean the solder side, I use Electrical Contact cleaner in a Pressure Pack can!
Usually it takes 2 go's to get it all off!

Switched tip lug is for stereo applications

Attachments

• 17B38579-FBFF-4318-A37A-65C6A34FC431.jpeg
    17B38579-FBFF-4318-A37A-65C6A34FC431.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 39
You shrink your Picture to Actual size & see how much that stuff is touching from one pad to the next.
It's crucial to any build to clean the solder side, I use Electrical Contact cleaner in a Pressure Pack can!
Usually it takes 2 go's to get it all off!
Is that a brand name product? I've seen people say alcohol. Is there a particular type to use?

In the USA, this would be it!

• Fast acting, non conductive cleaner
  • Penetrates quickly and leaves no residue
  • Ideal for circuit boards, switches, printers, controls, electrical assemblies, copiers, tape heads & precision instruments
  • For use on electrical equipment, contacts, plastic & rubber
  • Fast Drying Contact Cleaner is excellent for cleaning oil, dirt, flux residue and condensation from sensitive electronics and electrical equipment. It rapidly penetrates into hard to reach areas and dries quickly, without leaving any residue. This product can be used on electrical equipment, contacts, plastic and rubber.
dbe98ec6bedb4accb3b3733482f39e80

Back