My first build. Low tide. Made a mistake. Is this redeemable?

boysenpai

So this is my first build. I heard it was not recommended for beginners, but I've soldered my guitar electronics in the past and also, I just really wish to have Shallow Water for 5+ years and making my own was the only way I could afford it.

It went well until I started to solder chips. It came as a kit but there were no instructions as to how to solder particular components so I googled a lot with each new tier of components. Found a little bag with two chips, found their placing on the pcb, soldered them in. Cut off the residual pin tips. Then I opened next back and I noticed there were these slots and I couldn't pair them with anything. Then I realised these were slots for the chips that I already soldered straight onto the pcb and trimmed their pins.

Will the chips work when soldered straight into the pcb? Or, will the chips slide into the slot and work even with the tips of their pins trimmed? Or should I look for replacement?

Attachments

• pins.jpeg
    pins.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 95
  • pins2.jpeg
    pins2.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 96
  • pins3.jpeg
    pins3.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 100
And getting ten of them for that price is not fishy?
that is a competitive deal at that price. Selling the real thing is probably cheaper to do than sourcing fakes would be because these smd transistors are cheap and plentiful. fakes only become an issue when something goes out of production and the supply starts shrinking.

That seems about the right price to me. If you add in the adapter board these are a bit cheaper but you have to solder the transistor to the adapter yourself. https://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=52
That seems about the right price to me. If you add in the adapter board these are a bit cheaper but you have to solder the transistor to the adapter yourself. https://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=52
Okay, bought

So here's my latest update.

Troubleshoot:
  1. OK
  2. OK
  3. OK
  4. OK
  5. OK
  6. OK
  7. OK (significant drop in volume)
  8. OK (significant drop in volume)
  9. OK (significant drop in volume)
  10. NADA
  11. NADA
  12. NADA
  13. NADA
  14. NADA
  15. NADA
  16. NADA
  17. NADA
At first I soldered it in backwards, that is D-S-G. It did basically the same thing but that time the S also made a sound. In the correct direction as seen in the photo the S made no sound, but probably is not expected to.

I was wondering what caused the drop in the volume and whether it was always there. I'm testing with the sound probe on headphones now which may be a bit more sensitive to volume changes. Also is it normal that the joint under number seven, marked green, also made a sound and also with the volume drop?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 7
  • Audio By Numbers.jpeg
    Audio By Numbers.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 7
Back