My first Super-fuzz

The Gator

I guess not only is it my first super fuzz, it is my first clone build guitar pedal. I have the original Super Fuzz and I've always liked it it was a gift from a friend when I was 16. I like using it however it eats batteries and I don't want to get any more torn up than what it is. Circuit-wise it works great the outside is getting kind of rough.
My original has SC536-F6F transistors and two extremely large and well matched diodes at .290 Vf.
I used SC945 transistors and a couple 1N34 diodes. One at .305 Vf and one at .287 Vf.
The only hardware change im gonna make if i can get it to work is a dpdt toggle that is on/on/on configured.
Wired correctly, it should give me a "both" tone setting in the middle.
Thought i would try it as haven't seen anybody try it yet and it is a way to get a middle ground tone setting withour adding or modifying resistance to the tone circuits.
Here is a video link comparing the two pedals:

Attachments

• 20220709_213325.jpg
    20220709_213325.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220709_213304.jpg
    20220709_213304.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 18
Very cool build. The On-on-on switch is an interesting idea, you could test it out just by jumpering the pins of the switch. Aionfx has a pcb that is fitted to use either a switch or a pot. If using the pot, it simply blends between the two settings.

Thank you very much.
The thing with a pot is that it adds resistance to both sides of the tone circuit, thus changing the original two tones. On this one I was just keeping the goal of making a fuzz that has the two original tones, but still get a third.
I am definitely going to build another one and probably with a pot and more than likely higher fV diodes. it would clean up a little more and be a little louder still.

Thank you
Gator

Oops sorry. You should be able to see the video now. The only shot of the inside I have is the circuit board assembled to the wiring "harness". I used connectors, but probably won't again. Now that i see it is not really need.

Attachments

• 20220710_072925.jpg
    20220710_072925.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice build

I built the Aion version with the pot and I find the only usable positions are the first and last 10% of the knob, the rest is kinda a jumble

Back