My Soldering station died tonight

Dali

It sucks.

Bought in 2016, probably on Aliexpress for 60$. Youyue 8586. What is weird is that the Air Gun still function but when I try to start the soldering side, it blinks half a second then nothing. I opened it but can't really find a fusible or nothing of help.

So yes I will replace it because I got 12 pedals in the queue...

I'm open for suggestions... I'm a builder-by-numbers, soldering pedals about 3 hours a week.

Are those too cheap to trust?

Last edited:
I am totally loving this one, although it doesn't come with a power supply. I repurposed a laptop power supply with it and it rocks, from smd to heavier stuff like turret soldering on amp boards. I couldn't believe it at first but my regular soldering station (Hakko knockoff) is now my backup and hasn't been used in yonks.
There's a useful firmware upgrade on Github, I could find the link if you go down this way.

Hey Pat, this is the one I use. Got it from Aliexpress and it works really well, heats rapidly and has a nice standby function. I should calibrate the temp down the line, but I've set it at a point I'm comfortable working with so I never bottered (that and I don't have an infrared thermometer...). As a bonus, it took months to get there, but I wasn't in a hurry and they reimbursed me the better part of it!

I use that same Weller 40 watt that you linked. Works good for me but I don't have any experience with other stations. I'd say it feels solid and good quality. I bought a conical tip to go with it the chisel tip it provides. But now I want that TS100 that thing looks awesome.

It sucks.

Bought in 2016, probably on Aliexpress for 60$. Youyue 8586. What is weird is that the Air Gun still function but when I try to start the soldering side, it blinks half a second then nothing. I opened it but can't really find a fusible or nothing of help.

So yes I will replace it because I got 12 pedals in the queue...

I'm open for suggestions... I'm a builder-by-numbers, soldering pedals about 3 hours a week.

Are those too cheap to trust?

My Condolences, when is the service?
Bin there recently with my friend Weller.
Total Tools got me through it.
Soldger on.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but when my 50 dollar Solomon died back in february I just bit the bullet and bought a hakko. Worth it. Best money I've spent on tools since I started soldering over a decade ago. The quality of the tips are better, the heat up is faster and I know every solder joint is just right.
Seconded. I've been through 4 shitty cheap soldering irons and a few months ago I stepped up and got a hakko. It's insane howuch better it is compared to the cheap irons I had been using. Heats up in seconds, doesn't cool down like my older irons when soldering something larger.

Had I gotten the hakko to begin with I would have saved money.

I’ve been using this and it’s been great for me. Bought it after I really messed up a pedal because the iron I was using was just not adequate. This heats up nice and fast and is consistent.

YIHUA 939D+ Digital Soldering Station, 75W Equivalent with Precision Heat Control (392°F to 896°F) and Built-in Transformer. ESD Safe, Lead Free with °C/°F display (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVMZNY...abc_MTPWXGYCX62GVZEFB9M2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am totally loving this one, although it doesn't come with a power supply. I repurposed a laptop power supply with it and it rocks, from smd to heavier stuff like turret soldering on amp boards. I couldn't believe it at first but my regular soldering station (Hakko knockoff) is now my backup and hasn't been used in yonks.
There's a useful firmware upgrade on Github, I could find the link if you go down this way.

This is what I use too, my first upgrade from radioshack style irons. The version I bought came with a power supply but it wasn't as good as the random laptop charger I had laying around so I'd recommend buying a separate power supply or seeing if you have one that works. The replacement / additional tips aren't cheap (~$10-15) but as I've been soldering longer, the less I change tips. I'm really happy with the hoof style one that came with my ts-100 and the only reason I replaced it was because I dropped it hot onto shag carpeting. The firmware upgrade is really worth doing too.

If you're tight on space this is 100% the way to go.

Reactions: fig
This is what I use too, my first upgrade from radioshack style irons. The version I bought came with a power supply but it wasn't as good as the random laptop charger I had laying around so I'd recommend buying a separate power supply or seeing if you have one that works. The replacement / additional tips aren't cheap (~$10-15) but as I've been soldering longer, the less I change tips. I'm really happy with the hoof style one that came with my ts-100 and the only reason I replaced it was because I dropped it hot onto shag carpeting. The firmware upgrade is really worth doing too.

If you're tight on space this is 100% the way to go.
what features or improved performance did you get with the firmware update?

what features or improved performance did you get with the firmware update?
You get more info and customization options on menu and you get higher temperature options up to 450 Celsius.
While it's tiny and lightweight, which I love, it feels and performs like a surgical tool rather than a cheap gadget that it might look like>
I also like that I can run it off my 18V cordless drill battery for mobile jobs, have used that a few times when I was soldering on electrics of my campervan when I was too lazy to get the long extension cord out. Very handy. I just simply made a little harness that clipped onto 18V battery that has the right polarity plug, very similar to stompbox plug.

Man prices have really shot up! I paid around $100 US for mine last year
I have the same one and I really like it. I think the only major improvement of make to it would to give it a standby switch rather than an auto standby. I've never had it go cold while in the middle of working, but I have had it happen right at the start a couple times which is annoying.

I have the same one and I really like it. I think the only major improvement of make to it would to give it a standby switch rather than an auto standby. I've never had it go cold while in the middle of working, but I have had it happen right at the start a couple times which is annoying.
I think you can adjust that

I think you can adjust that
I turned it up to 10 minutes but honestly I just got in the habit of hitting the up arrow once lightly before soldering. It doesn't change the temp but keeps it from going in to standby.

Back