My third Snozzleberry

HamishR

This pedal is fantastic! In this one I made a few mods - changed C16 from 22nF to 10nF to make it a bit brighter, used two pairs of 1N4001/1N4148 diodes instead of the LEDs, and put the second pair of clipping diodes on a switch. The switch is on-off-on, so middle is no diodes at the second clipping stage, down is the stock 1N4001s and up it two BAT41s. I thought the diode switch would be more subtle than it is but it really makes quite a difference without wildly changing volume. Yes the volume is louder with no diodes and quieter with BAT41s but it's not crazy different.

But the sound sure is. With no second clipping stage diodes the bass strings are clearer which is great for my surf/spy/rockabilly Gretsch riffage. It even helped my friend's Jazzmaster sound sweeter. The stock sound is of course fantastic - it obviously has more growl than the middle position. Switching to BAT41s increases compression and GRRR and gets the pedal more into chug territory. All positions are really useful and surprisingly so.

Oh - I also swapped the bass and treble pots around to make the pedal match all my other 4-knob ODs. I just added wires to the PCB to install regular lugged pots for those controls. So now bass is on the left, treble on the right. It gets confusing if they're all different.

This has to be the most versatile OD pedal I have ever heard. My favourite Björn pedal by miles. Thanks again to Robert!!

Strawberry ext.JPG

Strawberry int.JPG

That looks awesome! I've been rocking my Snozzberry since I built it. I've been flirting with the idea of building a second to tweak, as you have.

What schematic are you referring to for the component references? A schematic was posted in @MichaelW's build report, but it doesn't have reference designators.

One Control makes a "Deluxe" version of the Strawberry Red, which looks (and the description suggests) they grafted an active tone control to the end. I've been flirting with the idea of buying one of these to send to @Robert for study.

I knew I wanted to make some changes so had to draw up my own schematic because I am impatient! Then used the pic of the PCB on the Snozz page to find the component designators.

I've seen some of the newer Strawberry Red variants. I've also tried the Lingonberry and Cranberry but the Strawberry is my fave. I'd love to hear some of the others but they're not cheap right now. The 4K is probably much like the Pedal PCB version but the Deluxe looks interesting. Sometimes though adding features can water down the sound of a great OD... The newish 4 knob Honey Bee is intriguing too.

I knew I wanted to make some changes so had to draw up my own schematic because I am impatient! Then used the pic of the PCB on the Snozz page to find the component designators.

I've seen some of the newer Strawberry Red variants. I've also tried the Lingonberry and Cranberry but the Strawberry is my fave. I'd love to hear some of the others but they're not cheap right now. The 4K is probably much like the Pedal PCB version but the Deluxe looks interesting. Sometimes though adding features can water down the sound of a great OD... The newish 4 knob Honey Bee is intriguing too.
I'm still trying to find this version:

s-b-r-d-limited-edition-jpg.41802

Back