Neurocyton Preamp - Greer Soma

almondcity

I didn't snap a gutshot but wanted to post a successful build on this one. This pedal is absolutely sick, 10x better than the Benson Preamp in my opinion. Biased the trimmers to 4.5v and it sounds beautiful! BUILD THIS

Attachments

• 2022-01-24 08.16.55.jpg
    2022-01-24 08.16.55.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
How does it differ from the Broadcast? I really wanted to build this one but Have a Benson and Broadcast halfway done on the back bench.

This is a jfet overdrive type pedal with full EQ. It's quite different sounding than the Broadcast which to me has kind of a "guitar plugged straight into the console" sound and only the low cut control. All 3 are good pedals but I like this the best, the EQ is more powerful than on the Benson I think

Building this right now and stupidly soldered in the transformer without checking the orientation. Not sure I can pull it without destroying the pads... I don't suppose it'll work backwards? Anybody got an idea?

Reactions: spi
I think I've read somewhere (but please don't quote me on that) that the 42tm018 (which is pretty similar to the 141P) can be installed backwards, and that makes sense since it's a 1:1 transformer

Could someone talk this noob through the calibration process? Right now it’s not actually passing signal, but I’m hoping this is the issue

I biased the jfets to 4.0V on the drain, if I remember correctly.
Could you talk me through how to bias? Like where to place DMM probes and what setting to have it on? I'm a beginner!
Also is it possible that a unbiased pedal would not pass signal? My LED is on, it works in bypass, but not when engaged right now. I can hear the pentameters changing the sound also, but no signal is getting through
Thanks!

Last edited:
Could you talk me through how to bias? Like where to place DMM probes and what setting to have it on? I'm a beginner!
Also is it possible that a unbiased pedal would not pass signal? My LED is on, it works in bypass, but not when engaged right now. I can hear the pentameters changing the sound also, but no signal is getting through
Thanks!
The simplest way is to clip your ground onto the pedal's ground and then the test (other side) of the DMM to the drain of the JFET. JFET leads are labeled D (Drain) S (Source) G (Gate). Search online for the pinout of the JFET you're biasing. Set the DMM to voltage measurement and then adjust the trimmer until it reads the voltage you're looking for. This is the most quoted article/reference with a lot more detail http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardBareAss/BreadboardBareAss.htm

I biased the jfets to 4.0V on the drain, if I remember correctly.
A while back, Mr PPCB posted that the unit he traced was calibrated to:
Q1 - 4.45v
Q2 - 4.3v
Q3 - 4.46v
Q4 - 4.75v

And to add to the previous advice, i usually just stick the ground probe into one of the screw holes on the chassis. Assuming everything is grounded properly, I find this to be easiest way to go. I've had clips come loose without me realizing it and then I can't figure out what the problem is until I finally notice the black probe flapping in the breeze.

Also, if your pedal works in bypass and you can hear the parameters changing the noise, you're in the ballpark. Might just be a problem w your footswitch wiring or the pcb in/out wires. Post a pic of the guts and somebody in here might be able to help.

A while back, Mr PPCB posted that the unit he traced was calibrated to:
Q1 - 4.45v
Q2 - 4.3v
Q3 - 4.46v
Q4 - 4.75v

And to add to the previous advice, i usually just stick the ground probe into one of the screw holes on the chassis. Assuming everything is grounded properly, I find this to be easiest way to go. I've had clips come loose without me realizing it and then I can't figure out what the problem is until I finally notice the black probe flapping in the breeze.

Also, if your pedal works in bypass and you can hear the parameters changing the noise, you're in the ballpark. Might just be a problem w your footswitch wiring or the pcb in/out wires. Post a pic of the guts and somebody in here might be able to help.
Thanks heaps!
I just made a separate thread to solicit advice, but basically Q2 & Q3 are both up around 8v at lowest adjustment, so I’m wondering if I’ve got a wrong part in there. There’s photos there too! Have a look if you may.
Thanks again, C

Back