New Build - Coda Effects Black Hole

Favor to ask, any way could you measure the pcb size? I’m wondering if I could squeeze this in a 1590B, but I don’t see the pcb dimensions Posted in the build docs. Looks like there’s some space on the sides, so I’m thinking it could work. Don’t feel like you have to take the pedal apart or anything of course, so if not, don’t worry about it.

Favor to ask, any way could you measure the pcb size? I’m wondering if I could squeeze this in a 1590B, but I don’t see the pcb dimensions Posted in the build docs. Looks like there’s some space on the sides, so I’m thinking it could work. Don’t feel like you have to take the pedal apart or anything of course, so if not, don’t worry about it.
I’ve got an extra board I could measure later today.

Length: 49.5mm
Width: 55.5mm

Length: 49.5mm
Width: 55.5mm

hmm might be tight horizontally in a 1590B (55.5mm = 2.19"). in my experience small bear boxes tend to be slightly roomier inside (thinner walls) so I might have to use that. the 2,2" wide phase ii just barely fit in a small bear 1590B box for me.

Last edited:
Do you happen to remember the type of DPDT switch you used for this build? I’m building one currently and the BOM is calling for a DPDT On/Off. I’m only finding DPDT switches that come in On/On and On/Off/On. I feel like the On/On will work but wanted to confirm as desoldering a switch like this would really suck. Thank you for any help.
Just finished up my Black Hole build from Coda Effects. Man, this thing is a MONSTER! It can certainly do the crunchy lower gain OD, but this thing just wants to have the knobs cranked on a loud amp. Really happy with it!

Also thanks to @phi1 for helping me with a few questions along the way!

View attachment 4960View attachment 4961

It should be dpdt on-on for sure, I don’t know why coda worded it on/off, I think that was a mistake.

My favorite part of C0da's boards is the holes seem a tiny bit larger which makes soldering a breeze and I am not sure if the gold plating has any effect but my no-lead solder just loves it. This pedal is a beast. The one thing I thought about tweaking with is the tone stack, the bass knob is pretty much from 0-1000000 in just the first smidge of a twist. I put his values in the tone stack calculator app and it pretty much shows what's happening. Just a shit load of bass which is awesome but would be nice to tame a touch.

My favorite part of C0da's boards is the holes seem a tiny bit larger which makes soldering a breeze and I am not sure if the gold plating has any effect but my no-lead solder just loves it. This pedal is a beast. The one thing I thought about tweaking with is the tone stack, the bass knob is pretty much from 0-1000000 in just the first smidge of a twist. I put his values in the tone stack calculator app and it pretty much shows what's happening. Just a shit load of bass which is awesome but would be nice to tame a touch.
pcbguitarmania modified this circuit for their Black Sunn of Doom pcb. They replaced the eq section with that of the Benzin VH4. Much better with two bass controls, presence, and preboost. Its a beast for sure with the mods.

In theory through hole and smd jfets should work and sound the same. Through hole j201s have been discontinued and legitimate ones are harder and more expensive to buy. People have reported good results buying them from mouser, but they’re pricey. Do not buy jfets from eBay as they are very likely way out of spec (sometimes referred to as ‘fake’. I’m not sure if they are counterfeit or just rejects from mass production, but in any case if they’re out of spec then they aren’t real j201s).

however smd j201s are still produced and are readily available from several places and consistently in spec. Pedalpcb offers smd j201 soldered onto tiny boards so you can add resistor legs and use it in pcbs just like a through hole.

Back