New Madbean Current Lover and Klon Buffers - Incompatible? Squealing Issue

Fingolfen

So I just built a few of the new Madbean Current Lover pedals - and a friend sent me a video with a lot of oscillation, etc. that I hadn't heard when I'd tested the pedal. I think I've narrowed down the problem, but I'm not sure it makes sense.

(Pardon the REALLY rough videos, dust, and wife bringing the cat in)

The pedal sounds clean when I test it at the front of the signal chain:

It sounds pretty clean when I test it near the end with no Klon (with Klon buffered bypass) in the signal chain:

When there is a Klon in the chain in front of it though:

I can also get it to make noise when I activate a compressor in front of it... though not as much.

So... thoughts? Is this something intrinsic to the EM design or something else???

The old chap is an 18v so it is on a dedicated Dunlop wall wart the rest is all one spot

One spot as in daisy chained?

The way I see it is true isolation is the first step. If you have a truly isolated power supply, theoretically the charge pump whine should not be able to affect the flanger.

But unfortunately it still seems to beat that.

So then it’s using a Klon style circuit with no charge pump. If that’s not feasible or desirable, the. You can’t run them together. If not having them on at the same time doesn’t kill the whine, then you simply can’t have them on the board at the same time.

Yeah, the kliche was daisy chained with a boss ts-9, mojito, Tommy, and a parentheses mini on the same line. I can try isolating the kliche on a dedicated wall wart as well for the sake of science. One other thing is that the OneSpot and the Dunlop wall wart are plugged into the same power strip. If I want to get really anal I can try plugging both the wall warts into the wall, or even into the wall in different outlets (but that’s just nonsense since the outlets are probably in series anyways🤣).

So all of this is starting to make me think that the solution we came up with in this thread to help me combine an 18V Current Lover and a 9V XC Phase in a 2-in-1 one build using one of PedalPCB’s charge pump 3PDT boards is probably in actuality a phenomenally bad idea, correct? In that case the advice was to put the charge pump board on the 9 V phaser and run the fixed 18 V power over to the Flanger.

Just other anecdotal comments – I had almost the exact same whine in a two in one build of a Cetus and Little Green Scream Machine - replacing the charge pump chip eliminated the whine, but I still sometimes get loud noise when I switch one or both of the pedals on but it goes away if I switch them back off and turn them on again. There was also a recent thread about that same whine that was very specific to having a Kliche in a certain order in the signal chain.

Mike.

So all of this is starting to make me think that the solution we came up with in this thread to help me combine an 18V Current Lover and a 9V XC Phase in a 2-in-1 one build using one of PedalPCB’s charge pump 3PDT boards is probably in actuality a phenomenally bad idea, correct? In that case the advice was to put the charge pump board on the 9 V phaser and run the fixed 18 V power over to the Flanger.

Just other anecdotal comments – I had almost the exact same whine in a two in one build of a Cetus and Little Green Scream Machine - replacing the charge pump chip eliminated the whine, but I still sometimes get loud noise when I switch one or both of the pedals on but it goes away if I switch them back off and turn them on again. There was also a recent thread about that same whine that was very specific to having a Kliche in a certain order in the signal chain.

Mike.

The only thing worse than using a charge pump near a flanger is using one inside a flanger.

The only thing worse than using a charge pump near a flanger is using one inside a flanger.
So it sounds like, unless I want to run the Current Lover off the same 9 V supply as the phaser at 9 V rather than 18vV (not my preference) I’ll go back to my original klugey solution of having a separate 18 V power jack for the Current Lover board (which is fine, I have an extra unused 18 V output on my 1spot isolated power supply) and have the only shared connection between the two boards be the output from one board to the input on the other. (Unfortunately, I’ve already committed to doing this as a two in one build as the custom drilled and printed enclosure is already in process at Tayda.)

I’m pretty sure that the only pedal elsewhere on my board that has a charge pump is the Cetus but, because I’m using isolated power supplies and a loop switcher, it doesn’t seem to be adversely affecting other time based effects on the board like my chorus or unison double tracker, so hopefully it won’t be an insurmountable issue here either. I’m also adding the General Tso at the front of the chain, which I believe uses buffered bypass, so I’ll have to see what issues, if any, that causes or just keep it off (the loop switcher will take it completely out of the signal path) when I’m using the flanger.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
The old chap is an 18v so it is on a dedicated Dunlop wall wart the rest is all one spot
TC1044SCPA or 7660SCPAZ in the Kliche, I betting TC1044SCPA!
I have had more folks with issues on here with TC1044SPCA & suggested 7660SCPAZ & Boom, Noise gone!
True tone are probably the Best power supply out there!???
Guardian is right, It is a known issue so it may not work!
Strymon is well known with noise issues in their pedals when running from other branded pedals & power supplies.
Trial & Error is Real!

I didn't think it was possible to hate him more, yet here we are🤢
mAe5R5iK2oMLMsK5GcK3YT-320-80.jpg
How can you possibly hate a man whose signature is a cock and balls? (Or is it squirting diarrhea?)

Back