DEMO Nivel Overdrive (1981 LVL)

This post contains an audio or video demo
Anybody messed around with the diodes?
iirc the diodes in this circuit limit signal voltage swings above the rating of the diode (3v3) ... basically keep the op amp from distorting ... which should be the job of the series potentiometer ahead of the op amp (essentially the input control from a boutique fuzz face) but I didn't take the time with the circuit that the designer did. I'm sure he didn't just copy something he saw in high gain pedals like the VH4 because that would be lazy.

They keep the op amp itself from distorting, but I was under the impression they're creating their own clipping like another other diodes creating soft clipping, just with that higher forward voltage.

you'd have to wallup the input with a very hot signal to get it to clip and when it does it will sound like the sort of Mahogany Rush that hails from Taco Bell, not Canada.

Kind of a necrobump but I recently came across this thread. Since this was my design I figured I'd chime in.

What a weird circuit. Seems like a pretty low input impedance with that 2n3904 and 100k bias resistor. Also I'm trying to understand IC1.2 because it seems like it would have just a smidge of voltage gain with the 6.81k resistor being so much lower than the 22k, and 39k resistors on the other half of the inverting op amp. So it's slightly boosting above 185hz and 153hz? I'm just sort of scratching my head here lol
The input buffer convergently ends up resmbling the Cornish buffer, though this circuit topology was not invented by Cornish. You see bootstrapping in a wide variety of high impedance scenarios. You can even do it with an op amp instead of a BJT and obtain astronomically high input impedance (tens of giga-ohms range), which is great for things like scientific instrumentation amplifiers.

As for IC1.2, it is arguably a relic of the dev process. The prototype provided "handles" for a structured mid boost which could have been more intense but ended up being fairly subtle. Ultimately it provided some much-needed polish. Could it have been done more simply? Probably. But a few cents of extra resistors/caps is cheaper than a new PCB layout.

@Robert sure that there's no power filtering on the Vref?
Putting a cap after a voltage reference buffer does essentially nothing except force the op amp to drive a capacitive load, which most op amps hate doing. It's a common mistake, classic symptom of the frequent cargo cult-ing of pedals. There are ways to convert that op amp buffer into a LPF which effectively increases the regulation of the VREF node (there are some Burr Brown app notes about this) but it's generally not necessary.

iirc the diodes in this circuit limit signal voltage swings above the rating of the diode (3v3) ... basically keep the op amp from distorting ... which should be the job of the series potentiometer ahead of the op amp (essentially the input control from a boutique fuzz face) but I didn't take the time with the circuit that the designer did. I'm sure he didn't just copy something he saw in high gain pedals like the VH4 because that would be lazy.

Not quite accurate about that series potentiometer. It doesn't keep the op amp from distorting, it sets the gain. The feedback diodes keep the op amp from distorting. Important distinction.

Also, re: the 4 years thing... factor in a pandemic, a collaborator with his own business to run (👋), and a couple tours for Matt's band, and suddenly you blink and wonder where the time went.

Kind of a necrobump but I recently came across this thread. Since this was my design I figured I'd chime in.

The input buffer convergently ends up resmbling the Cornish buffer, though this circuit topology was not invented by Cornish. You see bootstrapping in a wide variety of high impedance scenarios. You can even do it with an op amp instead of a BJT and obtain astronomically high input impedance (tens of giga-ohms range), which is great for things like scientific instrumentation amplifiers.

As for IC1.2, it is arguably a relic of the dev process. The prototype provided "handles" for a structured mid boost which could have been more intense but ended up being fairly subtle. Ultimately it provided some much-needed polish. Could it have been done more simply? Probably. But a few cents of extra resistors/caps is cheaper than a new PCB layout.

Putting a cap after a voltage reference buffer does essentially nothing except force the op amp to drive a capacitive load, which most op amps hate doing. It's a common mistake, classic symptom of the frequent cargo cult-ing of pedals. There are ways to convert that op amp buffer into a LPF which effectively increases the regulation of the VREF node (there are some Burr Brown app notes about this) but it's generally not necessary.

Not quite accurate about that series potentiometer. It doesn't keep the op amp from distorting, it sets the gain. The feedback diodes keep the op amp from distorting. Important distinction.

Also, re: the 4 years thing... factor in a pandemic, a collaborator with his own business to run (👋), and a couple tours for Matt's band, and suddenly you blink and wonder where the time went.
This was very interesting to read! Thanks for the info.

Who's Matt(seriously)?
Matt Mahaffey?
Matt Talbot?
Hopefully not Matt Pinfield.
He's 62 now, so everyone else who knows who he is can feel the way I do...

Back