Noir-Boss DM-2 Blackhat edition

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The DM-2 is one of my favorite analog delays. I've built a handful of different versions already. From the aquaboy to the aquaboy deluxe, this is the most faithful dm-2 clone other than the recent Aion release. Unlike the Aion build, this one uses two V3205 BBD ICs for up to 600ms of total delay, the Blackhat edition of the waza craft pedal. When Clinton and I were discussing the circuit and comparing our thoughts against the DM-3 and the differences in the 3005 and 3205 chips, we thought to make a a strait clone with the 3205 because the consensus online is the the 3005 V1 is miles better that the V2 3205 ad we had to know for ourselves.

So how does it sound and compare to the V1? Lots of people say they can hear a difference, that the 3005 sounds cleaner and has more clarity in the repeats. The 3005 has increased headroom with the caveat that it's ran at higher voltages. The increase in voltage also accentuates the percussive nature of the the repeats. The 3205 in comparison can only be ran at 9v but has a lower noise floor. My opinion is that they sound the same. The DM-2 was never ran at higher voltages so I don't know why people think they sound so different. No mojo in this circuit with the 3005.

Clinton did a great job on the layout and the noise floor is so low it's one of the quietest analog delays I've ever used. The build and calibration was simple and went together without a hitch. For the artwork I wanted to pay homage to the Shadow Man and went with Spiderman Noir. UV print on matte black tayda enclosure. If I had to compare it to the DM-3, I would say the DM-3 is the more refined and the DM-2 is more raw and gritty. The DM-2 is Nebula and the DM-3 is Gamora. Also, the DM-2 does the best oscillating feedback of any analog delay. For the best no frills, warm, basic, never get in the way delay...the Noir can't be beat.
1000005686.jpg 1000005685.jpg 1000005687.jpg

Attachments

• 1000005687.jpg
    1000005687.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 9
IMG_0434.gif
Hot damn man, you knocked this one out of the park! Stellar build, amazing aesthetics, kind words, awesome circuit, and a stroke to my ego. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Great build all around! This is some high praise for an analog delay.

Impressive work with the layout, @blackhatboojum. Is this a two- or four-layer board?
Thanks! It’s a two layer pcb.

Great build all around! This is some high praise for an analog delay.

Impressive work with the layout, @blackhatboojum. Is this a two- or four-layer board?
Thanks Grant. It is high praise indeed. This with a dirty guitar is 💅💅💅
View attachment 77916
Hot damn man, you knocked this one out of the park! Stellar build, amazing aesthetics, kind words, awesome circuit, and a stroke to my ego. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Thanks! It’s a two layer pcb.
You killed it dude, you are the king of delay👑
Gorgeous build! Really dig the aesthetic of this one, white knobs on black is killer.
Thanks John, the white black combo is always top tier
🚨 🚨 🚨 🔥 🔥 🔥… man the FOMO is real, awesome build! Any plans of a demo?
Thanks Rob, I plan on a demo and comparison to the dm-3 but that's gonna have to wait until at least next week when I get back home.
Nice! I agree the DM-3 is a the polite version of the Boss analog delay, but as you know, I am a firm believer in the MN3005 chip and I believe I can hear the difference in the DM-2s. Now we need a demo!!!! Maybe it sounds like this:

I think they both pretty much sound the same. Running the 3005 at higher voltages maybe makes a difference but at 9v I feel the difference between them is down to part tolerance and how well a unit is calibrated. Either way I will be doing a sound clip soon.

Back