The Shadow Man delay (Boss DM-3)

blackhatboojum

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well, here it is folks. My magnum opus and the last analog delay I’ll probably ever build. But, before I get too deep into the back story and inspiration, some thanks are in order.

First off is Mr. Schu-Tone himself, @dan.schumaker . I approached him with this idea of a dual 3205, 125B size, Boss DM-3 style delay, and my man made it happen 🤘. Huge thanks for turning the meat and potatoes of this build into a reality.

Second order of thanks goes to @Guardians of the analog . Because my graphic skills are shit, and Chris is a master of having Tayda UV printed enclosures made, I asked him if he could help me out with my art idea. Armed with my Microsoft paint proof of concept, a couple of images, and my color idea, he captured the vision I had in my head. So again, huge thanks to Chris for turning my enclosure idea into reality.

So what is the Shadow Man delay exactly?

As I’ve already mentioned, it’s a dual V3205 bucket brigade analog delay modeled after the Boss DM-3. No frills, no fancy stuff, and no modulation. Just 3 knobs, mono in and out, true bypass, and operates at 9 volts. Simple and to the point. Just how I like my delay pedals.

So why a Boss DM-3?

Well, there’s several reasons but the main one is because they’re rare. I’m tired of seeing the same old circuits in the diy community. I wanted something outside of the memory man, DM-2, and various other MN3005 delays. It honestly bugs me that the 3205 BBD doesn’t get any love in the diy pedal world. Despite what you’ve read on the internet, it’s a great sounding delay chip and I would love to see some 3205 based PCBs available to pedal builders.

What’s the deal with the artwork?

The story behind that is long and convoluted but, I’ll try and sum it up. The Shadow Man, The Black Hat Man, The Black Hat Boojum, or whatever you want to call him, is an online persona that I adapted many years ago. It started from some interesting folklore that I read, about a shadowy figure in a black hat and black trench coat that would haunt people and appear out of nowhere. That later turned into the Black Hat Boojum thing when I heard an interview with TOOL’s webmaster on a radio show. He talked about a time in the 90’s, when he was approaching Area 51 hoping to see some crazy shit but, the Black Hat Boojums showed up and arrested him. Since then, it’s been my online handle for everything and eventually became my brand for pedal building. That leads us to now, where I wanted to build a full on, self centered, analog delay, with my brand and online persona all over it.

How does this delay sound?

F***ing awesome! Compared to the DM-2 I built, this delay sounds way better in front of my amp. It softer and more natural sounding, without the annoying percussive edge the DM-2 has with its repeats. It’s super quiet and doesn’t add any hiss or white noise to my screaming JCM 800 style amp.

IMG_2324.jpeg
IMG_2325.jpeg

Last edited:
I was searching for the differences between DM-2 and DM-3 but there seems to be a bunch of garbage info out there. Besides the 3205 what are the differences? Also, did the original DM-3 have 2 3205s?

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the DM-2 and DM-3. There are a few extra pieces in the delay time/clock section, but most of it is pretty cookie-cutter BBD delay stuff. The original only had a single 3205 in it. Check out this site, there is a lot of good information on the DM-3 here (including how to add a LED to show the delay time, which I'm totally going to steal when I make a fuller-featured version of this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the DM-2 and DM-3. There are a few extra pieces in the delay time/clock section, but most of it is pretty cookie-cutter BBD delay stuff. The original only had a single 3205 in it. Check out this site, there is a lot of good information on the DM-3 here (including how to add a LED to show the delay time, which I'm totally going to steal when I make a fuller-featured version of this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )
Thanks Dan! Strong work on this :cool:

Back