DEMO Ocelot Octaver (demos added)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DAJE

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one's been waiting for a while; I've been busy with various unpleasantries.

Lots of parts, so I took it slow and avoided blunders.

Fired up first try, and it sounds great on guitar and baritone. Lots of fun.

It's a little glitchy but that's part of the deal. The originals are no less so.

Will record a demo very soon.

Everything other than the PCB was from either Tayda or AliExpress. EDIT: Except for the Ge diodes which are ex-Soviet D9Ks.

Demo, featuring my Squier Jazzmaster Baritone, and some Shika Fuzz in the second half. I'm using my bass amp so the top end is a bit less prominent; I wanted the low end to come through.
Literally the first and only thing I recorded, I should try to be a bit more accomplished as a filmmaker along with all the other things I should do...

Demo 2
PRS SE Mira.
I remembered to "here's my clean tone" before hitting the effect this time. Added some Kliché drive about halfway.
Couple of dodgy moments but it's spontaneous improv; perfection takes longer.

Attachments

• OC1.jpg
    OC1.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 40
  • OC2.jpg
    OC2.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 39
  • OC3.jpg
    OC3.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 35
  • OC4.jpg
    OC4.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 20
  • OC5.jpg
    OC5.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Those look like the TL072 I’ve had issues with, poor performance and crackly tail. I stopped getting them from China because of that.

How’s your experience?

Those look like the TL072 I’ve had issues with, poor performance and crackly tail. I stopped getting them from China because of that.

How’s your experience?
I'm not hearing anything bad with the ones I got. I compared them with some known good ones in my Kliché and they sound the same to me. My gear isn't exactly hifi though, so it's possible that they're slightly noisier than the name brand ones. I didn't bother recording them for comparison, since they work for my needs.

DAJE - Nice looking build. Well done!

I caught szukalski's note about the TL072CP IDs with issues, so I looked up the list I've been making of known bad TL072 date code IDs. The ones in your photo are known to have issues. And just as szukalski points out, they do indeed have crackly tails. I noticed them earlier this year when I built a half dozen Klones for a client. Every one of them had a noticeable "farty" artifact at the tail end as the signal faded. I also looked up up from where I bought them and discovered that I had purchased them from Tayda. I bought fresh ones from StompBoxParts (TL072IP) and they were all perfect. I even swapped the suspected bad ones with the fresh ones a few times in each of the Klones just to be sure - and yep, they were definitely less than acceptable for TL072s. I found that I had several other date codes on my stock of TL072s and so I started to check them all. Without fail, I found the date codes on the following TL072CP chips to be below performance with crackly tails . . . .

KNOWN/PROVEN BAD TL072CP DATE CODES:
18MDSHY
14AP8NM
07A5L8QM

In my experience, Tayda is known for buying and re-selling sub-standard quality parts, or parts that don't meet the full manufacturer specifications - factory seconds.

And
granted, there are some dirt pedal builds for which "crackly tails" will have no bearing or hurt the sound at all. Just wanted to bring to bear some of the details about those specific TL072CP date codes while the topic had been brought up.

I caught szukalski's note about the TL072CP IDs with issues, so I looked up the list I've been making of known bad TL072 date code IDs. The ones in your photo are known to have issues. And just as szukalski points out, they do indeed have crackly tails. I noticed them earlier this year when I built a half dozen Klones for a client. Every one of them had a noticeable "farty" artifact at the tail end as the signal faded. I also looked up up from where I bought them and discovered that I had purchased them from Tayda. I bought fresh ones from StompBoxParts (TL072IP) and they were all perfect. I even swapped the suspected bad ones with the fresh ones a few times in each of the Klones just to be sure - and yep, they were definitely less than acceptable for TL072s. I found that I had several other date codes on my stock of TL072s and so I started to check them all. Without fail, I found the date codes on the following TL072CP chips to be below performance with crackly tails . . . .

18MDSHY
14AP8NM
07A5L8QM

In my experience, Tayda is known for buying and re-selling sub-standard quality parts, or parts that don't meet the full manufacturer specifications - factory seconds.

And
granted, there are some dirt pedal builds for which "crackly tails" will have no bearing or hurt the sound at all. Just wanted to bring to bear some of the details about those specific TL072CP date codes while the topic had been brought up.
Mark,

Are there any out-of-range specs to look for that you are are of?

Edit: Also, have you tried any TL072H pieces?

18MDSHY
14AP8NM
07A5L8QM

And
Well, that's great, but as I keep saying, if I don't hear a problem, then maybe, just maybe, there isn't a problem with these particular ones.

I intend to record a demo of the pedal. As I recall the originals I've tried, they're a bit dirty and glitchy anyway. So this one seems to me acceptable for my personal use.

I'm not paying boutique prices for TL072s. $2 each from Tayda is too expensive already.

Well, that's great, but as I keep saying, if I don't hear a problem, then maybe, just maybe, there isn't a problem with these particular ones.

I intend to record a demo of the pedal. As I recall the originals I've tried, they're a bit dirty and glitchy anyway. So this one seems to me acceptable for my personal use.

I'm not paying boutique prices for TL072s. $2 each from Tayda is too expensive already.
Darn it DAJE, you are just in denial! :ROFLMAO:

It’s another great looking build :love: and that IS a lot of parts!

$2 for a TL072 is definitely a high price. StompBoxParts has the TL072IP for $0.65 each (minimum of 5)

Mark,

Are there any out-of-range specs to look for that you are are of?

Edit: Also, have you tried any TL072H pieces?
fig - not any specific specs. I just use my ears when testing them in a clean build pedal that uses them. I also have a test jig for testing single, dual and quad opamps. It doesn't test the quality of the "sound" - just whether or not that they function.

Opamp_Tester_PCB.png

Reactions: fig
$2 for a TL072 is definitely a high price. StompBoxParts has the TL072IP for $0.65 each (minimum of 5)
And the cheapest postage option to Australia is just under US$20.

If I can't buy locally or from Asia (which is relatively close) then I can't build pedals, it's that simple. If I had to source everything from the US or Europe I'd be better off just buying finished pedals.

That's a sharp looking build, love the trippy artwork!

Doesn't beat StompBoxParts price, but if you're already putting in an order and paying shipping anyway...
Thanks, and I am planning on grabbing some TL072s from you when next I order. There's a few things on my want list so it'll happen eventually, just dealing with other stuff right now.

YzXCOyK.jpg

And the cheapest postage option to Australia is just under US$20.

If I can't buy locally or from Asia (which is relatively close) then I can't build pedals, it's that simple. If I had to source everything from the US or Europe I'd be better off just buying finished pedals.
OK . . . that 'splains a lot. I had no idea of your location.

After listening to your demo, I get the impression that the "crackly tails" aren't going to bother the effect because those "crackly tails" are clearly in the higher frequencies.

Nice build and result.

Back