Octarock Octave (Foxrox Octron 3)

Hirti

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When I first heard Queen Of The Stone Age's 'Little Sister' when I was younger I was really blown away by the solo sound. That's when I fell in love with the octave sound. This ignited an octave journey for me a few years later. Tycobrahe Octavia, Foxx Tone Machine, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Green Ringer, Fender Blender, Brassmaster. You name a octave pedal, I probably built it. All of them were nice in their own way but eventually I ended up with an original EQD Bit Commander. I've had that one on my pedalboard since 2016, and while I still absolutely love it I've also been feeling a bit bored by it lately. So the search continued. I was always interested in the Foxrox stuff but they are hard to come by in my country, so thanks for releasing this one, Robert!

The Octarock sounds absolutely awesome. The octave up sound is insanely "clear" and the octave-down sound is massive. The switches change the overall sound of the octaves and give this pedal quite the variance of sound (at least as versatile as an octave fuzz can sound! :LOL:). If anyone reading this is into octave stuff this one is a must buy. :)

Design wise nothing too fancy or crazy. Obviously inspired by the original which looks kinda slick, I think. I used these differently colored MXR-style knobs to make it look a bit more colorful. I usually use 5mm LED holders like these but I was listening to a podcast while drilling the holes and got distracted, accidentally over-drilling the LED holes to 10mm. So I had to come up with something. I ordered these huge 10mm LEDs and at first I really hated them because they look so ridiculous. :ROFLMAO: But honestly, the more I look at it the more I like it. A huge LED for a huge enclosure! Tayda UV print on a winked silver enclosure.

octarock (2).jpg

octarock (3).jpg

octarock (4).jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I just finished the octuplet which I think it the octave up portion of this only. This board has quite a bit more going on.

That's a beautiful finished product. Nicely done. I dig the giant LED.

Now, I hesitate to mention this since you've been chasing that sound for years, but I'd bet money that there's no octave effect on Little Sister. And I'd be willing to help flog the person who sent you down that path.

The octave effect comes from playing up an octave on the fretboard, and the nasal focus is most likely coming from a Stone Deaf PDF.

But more importantly, your build rocks!!

Looks great!

Just curious, in your octave quest, have you ever tried the Orange Fur Coat?

Last edited:
That's a beautiful finished product. Nicely done. I dig the giant LED.

Now, I hesitate to mention this since you've been chasing that sound for years, but I'd bet money that there's no octave effect on Little Sister. And I'd be willing to help flog the person who sent you down that path.

The octave effect comes from playing up an octave on the fretboard, and the nasal focus is most likely coming from a Stone Deaf PDF.

But more importantly, your build rocks!!
Hm interesting. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that he used a Fulltone Ultimate Octave for the solo. He also has this pedal on his pedalboard. But then again, he also has a Stone Steaf PDF-1 on his pealboard so who knows. The guy's been very secretive about his pedal choices over the years. :)

Looks great!

Just curious, in your octave quest, have you ever tried the Orange Four Coat?
Huh, guess I did not build all of them haha :D No, I actually have never even heard of that one. I will research it.

Hm interesting. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that he used a Fulltone Ultimate Octave for the solo. He also has this pedal on his pedalboard. But then again, he also has a Stone Steaf PDF-1 on his pealboard so who knows. The guy's been very secretive about his pedal choices over the years. :)

I tried to do the same sleuthing when my band started covering Little Sister, in the thread: Which pedal has five (5!) chicken head knobs? I think he’s being secretive in the video by stepping on a pedal not used in the song. 🤔

I later learned Josh is the king of leading followers down mythical rabbit holes (2nd only to EVH.) He once claimed the Peavey Bandit was his tone secret—driving up Reverb prices on a wholly unremarkable practice amp. :ROFLMAO:

Let me know if you have a breakthrough. I plan to build my guitarist a PDF-1/2 whenever a PCB becomes available.

Did you build Guyatone OC-7 ? Available as Madbean's Low Rider and Delyk's Up and Down Daddy (smaller pcb size).

I wonder how does it compare with the other similar effects you built ?
This one's been on my list for a while. But unfortunately Madbean doesn't offer the Lowrider anymore and the Delyk PCB looks like a pain to build :censored:

I later learned Josh is the king of leading followers down mythical rabbit holes (2nd only to EVH.) ...

Both those guys learned that sort of magic-tone misdirection from the Grand Wizard himself, Reverend Willie G...

54afba_ea73710fa02441218a31c77cafe30be7~mv2.jpg

Six Expandoras into Crate amps! Yeah, sure Mr Gibbons, your band is quicker than the lie.
He's been fibbing about his gear for decades longer, since before the other two were born.

Great build Hirti!

Back