Opinions wanted: Good RockBilly overdrive

The Gator

Any suggestions for an overdrive that has a good rockabilly tone? I built the super stevie and I think it is the best so far, just wondering if anyone else had an opinion?

Thank you
Gator

Well, the Brain Seltzer would be pretty good, ie the pre-amp for the Roland Space Echo.

frndxbl24lf5ne4rwfci.jpg

Nocturne+Brain+Seltzer+Classic.png

Whether you like Brian Setzer or not, it's a great sounding pedal.

You could try any of the many preamps from PPCB, such as the Doxy (Fendery Victory Duchess) or a pre from a film projector (Projectile) or an old pre for a modulation effect (Celsius):

Brian is my guitar hero...of course.
Love the name of the pedal lol.
This circuit Sounds interesting!
Is there a schematic of this somewhere?
I would like to bread board this first.

The Nordland seems to be really popular in Nashville. I built the Aion Andromeda Deluxe and, especially given how little I tend to like most overdrives, think it’s a really solid sounding drive. Very articulate, although I also have a Cattle Driver and a Pot and Kettle slowly under construction that both seem to offer similar “almost clean into mid gain” territory along with the good tone controls that the Andromeda has.

Brian is my guitar hero...of course.
Love the name of the pedal lol.
This circuit Sounds interesting!
Is there a schematic of this somewhere?
I would like to bread board this first.

Find the schem over here:

Compare that with the original schematic in this service manual PDF.

I bet @HamishR would have some good circuit-suggestions for the thread.

I'd even posit that the PedalPCB Chop Shop (Barbershop) would be a good fit.

Might be a little more raggedy than you're looking for, but BB Gun might be up your alley

You say that, but I actually do not like they way some of my overdrives sound with my gretsch. I'm not looking for an overdrive to "get by" or suffice with, I am curious to hear what others, who are into Rockabilly, are enjoying using.
I think midrange response is important, and good dynamic response. Really to me, it's a good blonde bassman tone.
I have a Roland Space echo. I don't take it out anymore. Used to take it out on gigs.
I have a few other echo/ delays I use now.
So I'm good there.

Funny you should ask, and @Feral Feline is right - I played in various rockabilly bands over the years and it was trying to get the right sound from my Gretsch 6120 which led me to building amps and then pedals. I don't know about you but what I want is a clear, twanging low end with enough bite to cut through, and big fat trebles. The midrange is key too, depending on your guitar, amp and pickups. What kind of sound are you looking for? My goal was usually in the Brian Setzer/Rev Horton Heat area - generally fairly low-gain so that I could Travis Pick or play lead. I also wanted the low string boogie runs to have clarity.

There are a few stock pedals which get close for me. It obviously depends a lot on the amp, but pedals I have used in the past which have worked for me and which you can build from PCBs here would include the Mammal (especially if you use a lower-value gain pot), Timmy, Danae, MDMA, Pro-10 Blue and Tweed Sound. But being a tweaker and lover of using vero I have a few custom designs which I love. Right now it seems that Timmy variants are working well.

The Danae is a Timmy variant which can work, and I modified it to where it has become a real favourite for me with a Gretsch and a tweed amp. It should probably sound pretty good through most amps (I hope!) https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/timbre-man-slightly-modded-vemuram-tsv-808.15011/

Things like TS don't work for me so well because there isn't enough low end, and what low end there is sounds a bit soggy. They're also too compressed. You don't want anything too fuzzy or loose IME unless you are going for more of an early Cramps or Charlie feathers kinda vibe.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much!
Good stuff! I will check it out.
I was thinking of making another timmy type of circuit so this info is very helpful.

Gator

So, which one did you go for in the end? :)

Having no tweed drive yet, I put the Indiana Tweed (Tweed 57) on my wishlist... (Glad my little local J201 source still has stock, as this one needs six). I do remain curious if something else hides beyond my attention...

Update: There's the Tweed Man Overdrive (Catalinbread Formula 5F6) which gets a lot of love as well, which has taken the number one spot now.

Last edited:
Well, the Brain Seltzer would be pretty good, ie the pre-amp for the Roland Space Echo.

frndxbl24lf5ne4rwfci.jpg

Nocturne+Brain+Seltzer+Classic.png

Whether you like Brian Setzer or not, it's a great sounding pedal.

You could try any of the many preamps from PPCB, such as the Doxy (Fendery Victory Duchess) or a pre from a film projector (Projectile) or an old pre for a modulation effect (Celsius):

Why is there no PCB yet for this classic? :unsure:

Back