DEMO Oroideous w/ clipping mod

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Well-known member
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
@MichaelW wanted to know my thoughts as he recently built one, and was also less than impressed, so here's this little rundown.

Built to the doc except for the clipping diodes- I replaced one of the silicon clippers on the Rhythm side with an IR LED, and replaced both clipper on the Lead side with an Orange / IR LED pair. This gives some asymmetry while retaining some of the clean bleed.
Gain pots are 25kA, because I don't have any 20KD.


Built to the doc, I hated this- It was basically a clean boost with a smidge of a hint of distortion in the background. Swapping the diodes solved that.

Overall- nothing spectacular, but it sounds better than decent, and sounds great pushing a Rat. Couldn't be my only dirt, but pushing something else, I could see myself rocking it


Setup is a 30" scale baritone Telemaster into a Twin emulation on the Two Notes Opus with an open back 412 cab IR


1000039689.jpg 1000039688.jpg


I have another of these boards on hand, and I've got some more intensive mods in mind for that one
 
@MichaelW wanted to know my thoughts as he recently built one, and was also less than impressed, so here's this little rundown.

Built to the doc except for the clipping diodes- I replaced one of the silicon clippers on the Rhythm side with an IR LED, and replaced both clipper on the Lead side with an Orange / IR LED pair. This gives some asymmetry while retaining some of the clean bleed.
Gain pots are 25kA, because I don't have any 20KD.


Built to the doc, I hated this- It was basically a clean boost with a smidge of a hint of distortion in the background. Swapping the diodes solved that.

Overall- nothing spectacular, but it sounds better than decent, and sounds great pushing a Rat. Couldn't be my only dirt, but pushing something else, I could see myself rocking it


Setup is a 30" scale baritone Telemaster into a Twin emulation on the Two Notes Opus with an open back 412 cab IR


View attachment 114101View attachment 114100


I have another of these boards on hand, and I've got some more intensive mods in mind for that one
What other mods do you have in mind?
Sounds like it needs a high cut to take the beez out of the top end and maybe change the other silicon diode to an led to help with the weird swooshing.
 
Last edited:
What other mods do you have in mind?
Sounds like it needs a high cut to take the beez and maybe change the other silicon diode to an led to help with the weird swooshing.

Most mods relevant to the Tube Screamer would apply here. The OD side has a gyrator attached to the tone control which could be tweaked, while the OD side has a Rat-like LPF
 
Maxon-OR-01-Rock-N-Roll.png

I found a schematic for it and I see what you mean. I had an original one of these but sold it because the stock sound was a little off, but I have always thought that it had a lot of potential with the right mods.
 
Back
Top