DEMO P.O.W.-PW-2 Power Driver

This post contains an audio or video demo
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
I don't know if anyone actually reads these or finds them helpful but hopefully someone does. I'm going thru the backlog of finished projects and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So here is the PW-2 power driver. I consider this as Boss's response to the DOD grunge, even down to the silly EQ labels. Ironically Boss felt the need for a "grunge" pedal when they already had the market dominated with the OG grunge pedals-the DS-1 and DS-2. The only board available at this time is by DEFX and I ordered one and was reminded why I hate their boards, so I asked @dan.schumaker to make me one. Hence the P.O.W. was born.

It's been mentioned by a YouTube channel that this is the Boss Big Muff. While I do see some similarities in tone I wouldn't call it a big muff, it's way more versatile imo. It has a gyrator control like the HM-2, and unlike a BM, it has plenty of mids. Plenty of volume and gain on tap I can use this for lots of tones and not just those really saturated ones. In the sound clip I showed off a kind of muff sound for context.

Grey Tayda enclosure and UV print. Went with Bucky on this one, TWS was the reason I wanted to call it the P.O.W. and it looks as mean as it sounds. Clean layout from Dan. Another rare hidden gem, build one if you can.
PXL_20230604_205801977~2.jpg PXL_20230604_205707702~2.jpg PXL_20230604_205731518~2.jpg

Last edited:
Clean AF build, and Bucky is always welcome! The PW-2 is definitely a super cool sounding pedal. Definitely gonna have to build one now 😍
Thanks Nick, it's definitely got some character and it fun to build something everyone else isn't, even though it feels like that's all I build anymore lol
I definitely read all these reports haha. Nice build as always! If there was a PCB out there for this I'd build it in a heartbeat.
Thanks, I try to be informative without being too wordy.
🤟 🤟 🤟

Amazing demo! This sounds incredible! I think i need to get my hands on one as well! :cool:
Thanks, I don't know if I'd call it a demo, more of a proof of life and me doing an initial testing. I make sure it's functional at my bench but I don't really test it until it's in my rig.
Way to work around the Dead End pcb size. No wasted space up in THIS dirtbox.
Deadendfx should have this above their bench:
7p3l7w.jpg

Did somebody say HM2?? Looks killer Chris
Thanks Will. Sure did, the way the highs are tethered to the mids and interacts with the lows reminds me of the hm-2.
Very cool, It definitely has its own kind of flavor but pulls of that iconic tone very well. You know my first love is tight high gain tones, but super saturated fuzz that doesn’t gate to hard is my goto when I get bored…. The mids on this one are really interesting time.
Thanks Rob. This is my new mid 90s alt rock pedal
Cleaner than a semiconductor fabrication facility!
Thanks, but far from it 😂

Always enjoy the builds Chris. I recall seeing the original but have never paid attention. Judging by your excellent demo I really need to.
Thanks Gordy, I learned from some of the best the hobby has to offer. As one of my biggest influences and oldest supporters, it's always high praise coming from you.

The build is super clean and tidy. Sounds pretty cool. I've never heard one of these in real life or in a demo video before. I could see a muff comparison in the way it's kind of blown out, but in your demo it's not scooped sounding like the muff at all.

I understand the comparisons to the BMP but man oh man do I love the PW2 so much more than any Muff I’ve played. I had high hopes that the Boris EQD muff wouldn’t decimate low end but even that did. PW2 is like a Muff that I can tolerate playing my bottom string on with a way more fun tone stack. Anyway, awesome build! Love the enclosure and love seeing this circuit get some love

The build is super clean and tidy. Sounds pretty cool. I've never heard one of these in real life or in a demo video before. I could see a muff comparison in the way it's kind of blown out, but in your demo it's not scooped sounding like the muff at all.
A muff sound pretty much the same no matter the settings, it's more what the tone knob is doing. This has a whole range of sounds with the EQ and the gain knob can go from med gain to high gain. The mids on this are fantastic.
I understand the comparisons to the BMP but man oh man do I love the PW2 so much more than any Muff I’ve played. I had high hopes that the Boris EQD muff wouldn’t decimate low end but even that did. PW2 is like a Muff that I can tolerate playing my bottom string on with a way more fun tone stack. Anyway, awesome build! Love the enclosure and love seeing this circuit get some love
I remember you requested this ages ago. It's a fun circuit and is pretty versatile. I've always struggled with getting a BM to sound how I want it to and this fills that need better than any muff I've bought or built.

Back