P90 Madness.....

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I still haven't gotten my gear set up to record pedal demos yet, that's coming soon.

Most of you that have been following my GAS activities over the past couple of years know that I've acquired quite a collection of guitars, most of which I've built myself under the "M-Line" brand.

Since having to move my collection from one house to another and trying to find room for them in the new house I've been slowly going through all of them and getting some playing time on them. This has also turned into a bit of a rabbit hole as it gives me an opportunity to tinker with them and dial them in. I've had do some minor fret work on a number of guitars chasing down any stray buzz or high fret. But it's all good since I have the time to finally dial them in to my personal somewhat anal preferences.

It's also given me the chance to evaluate some of the guitars that I don't enjoy playing for whatever reason. And make some decisions as to whether to move them on or dive into modifying them. Case in point was the Epiphone Firebird I got last year.

img_5324-jpg.51707

Sometimes a guitar is more than the sum of its constituent parts, sometimes the converse is true. This Epiphone is a good example of the latter for me. I love the Onamac Windery pickups I had in it. I'd replaced all the wiring and electronics and the action is dialed in perfect. Yet, I'm not feeling it. I "thought" that it might be the odd shape that was throwing me off. Which led me to build the Tele-Bird mentioned in this thread. (aka the "SparePartsCaster). Those pickups on the Tele platform just kill me, they sound so good, and ironically, so "Firebird" like. So anyways, since I swiped the pickups for that build from this guitar I decided to throw some temp pickups in it. I put a set of the Planet Tone "Mean Mistreater" mini-hums in it. Lo and behold I really enjoyed playing the guitar with the new sound. I was seriously considering putting a set of cheap pickups in it and selling it but my experience got me thinking. "Hmmm, maybe it's the pickup combo that I didn't like..what if.......hmmmmm"

So this morning I got to do some measuring to see if I could pull the mod off and before you know it, bobs your uncle and it was done.

Since the pickup routes were for Firebird exclusively, there was room to work with. And if you hadn't guess yet, I converted my Firebird into a P90-Bird.
IMG_7103.JPG

Just enough room to make a P90 route....
IMG_7104.JPG

I wound up removing the stud inserts so the template would lay flat.
IMG_7105.JPG

They didn't turn out too bad, although routing the neck pickup was a bit tricky as this is neck through guitar. I had to use a number of shims with paint stirrers to make the template work. Didn't grab a picture of my contraption but suffice to say it worked. (After a few tense sphincter clenching moments)

I went to paint the pickup cavities with my shielding paint...
IMG_7107.JPG

Aaaaaaaand crap.....it was hard as a rock......
IMG_7108.JPG

So I had to go "old school" with foil tape. Boy do I hate messing with this stuff. Check out the laminates that make up the neck, pretty cool.
IMG_7109.JPG

Not my prettiest work, but it will do.
IMG_7110.JPG

I "upgraded" the stock Epiphone TOM and tailpiece with a Faber set that I had tried to put a patina on at one point but over did it.
But sonically it was still a big upgrade to the tone.

I usually use an upside down P90 cover to locate and drill the pickup screw holes.
IMG_7111.JPG

The some Mequiers swirl remover to take off the "imprint" of the old pickup rings.
IMG_7112.JPG

I cobbled together a set of P90's. In the neck is a Planet Tone Elite Pro II, which is a very low wind, open and "stratty" sounding P90. In the bridge I'm using the neck pickup from a set of Wolfetone P90's. It's a bit hotter and darker than I prefer for the neck position, but I've always though that it would make a great bridge pickup, It's an Alnico II build that's wound to around 8.4k.
However, I could not use 2 neck pickups that had the same polarity, so I had to flip the magnets and also flip the wind direction.
IMG_7113.JPG

Continued in next post....

Last edited:
On a P90 it's fairly easy, just loosen the two screws a bit and the two bar magnets slip right out. You do a 180 laterally with them to flip the polarity. (I always double check with a polarity tester or you can use a magnetic compass)

IMG_7114.JPG
To change the wind direction so you can get RWRP relative to the other pickup just swap the two wires (these are the terminations of the winds. Wolfe makes it real easy to do on his P90's. On some you have to do a little surgery to get to the wires. In this case my black wire became Hot and the red wire went to ground, the reverse of the way it was originally. This is to maintain the correct phase with the other pickup when using them together in the middle position.

And here she is all done. I was originally planning to use Black covers but I don't have the right size for both pickups so the cream covers may get swapped out. But then again, I think the cream looks pretty good with the Olive drab.
I dunno, I might could go either way. Thoughts?

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7116.JPG

Continued in next post....

Last edited:
So the second guitar I converted was much less of an effort, it was as easy as swapping a pick guard,

The initial build from last year is documented here.

img_6012-jpg.59037

This is another guitar that I SHOULD have liked a lot more than I did and it never gets much love from me.
Turns out that I'm just not a WRHB guy. (Although on paper you'd think I ought to be). Many of the qualities I look for in a good set of PAFs are present in the WHRB design. And I had a set of arguably one of the finest sets of the Lollar WRHBs in this guitar. Yet I just wasn't feeling it. So I was considering parting it out and selling it when I got the bright idea of getting a different pickguard and trying P90's in it.

Man, what a NIGHT AND DAY difference to me. It wasn't the neck or anything with the geometry of the guitar that threw me off it but totally the pickups. I have set of the Planet Tones in this guitar as well. The Elite Pro II in the neck (6.5k) and his Hot 1956 (10k) in the bridge.

Holy crap this thing sounds good. This a super lightweight pine body. The whole guitar clocks in under 7 lbs so it sits real easy on the lap and plays like silk right now. The combination of the pickup tones and the light pine body and how they interact is astounding.
It went from unloved to my current #1 in the rotation.

Again, I was originally planning on black pickup covers but didn't have any. But with the Cream stand-ins it's really growing on me. They seem to fit well against the red tortoise pick guard.

IMG_7099.JPG

Sumnabich, it's really nice to have you driving the chariot again Michael. I love the BR's and vent my GAS thru your posts. I'll get to a Firebird one of these days but am going in the reverse direction lately and focusing entirely on my Yamaha.

I think the cream P90s look great in the Firebird. I like them better than black. Of course as a fan of Filter'trons I do wonder what a set of TV Jones Filter'tron Classics in P90 sized covers would sound like in that Firebird. I suspect they would sound amazing. :cool:

I also think that the Tele looks way better now too.

Back