DEMO NPD! New Pickup Demo - Sunday Hand Wound Jazzmaster Pickups

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finally got around to recording a demo of these new pickups in my Jazzmaster.

I had never heard of Sunday Handwound until I read @jjjimi84 's Baritone Jazzmastery conversion build post.

After a wee bit of encouragement from @daeg I reached out to Tim at Sunday Handwound and chatted a bit before taking a chance on a set of his pickups.

Tim's a great guy and offered a lot of really good information about Jazzmaster pickups and after hearing what I wanted was pretty quick to narrow it down to his "Iola" set. This set, named after his great grandmother, was a custom set that became popular enough that it's now a catalog item. It consists of his "58/59" Alnico 5 neck pickup wound to about 7k and his "Woody Plus" Alnico 2 bridge pickup wound to ~9k.

Up to this point, my Jazzmaster was pretty uninspiring since I built it. I mean, it plays really nicely, looks great, has all the parts I thought I wanted but there just wasn't anything going on with it that made me want to pick it up and play it. I had originally put a set of Fender Pure Vintage 65's in there. I figure you can't go wrong with a 65 Jazzy sound right?

Well, little did I know, that there's a ton I DON'T know about Jazzmaster pickups heh. Anyway, sticking the SHW pickup set in the guitar completely transformed it.
I mentioned in another thread that it went from "meh" to "Man, I can't put this thing down!". What a difference the pickups made!

The neck pickup is HUGE sounding, big, bold yet also Strat-like with tons of character. Unlike the "bland" sounding (to me) neck pickup from the Fender PV65 set.
The bridge pickup, his "Woody Plus" is an overwound Jazzmaster bridge pickup. It's got a lot more output, a touch more in the mids and again, a ton of character. The PV65 bridge by comparison sounded thin, weak and wimpy.

I'm super happy with these pickups and big shout out to @jjjimi84 and @daeg for pointing me to them!

While I was installing the pickups I also made a couple of changes to the wiring. I wound up using both 250k audio taper pots for the lower controls. I had a 1meg tone pot in there originally and hated the taper. I can't imagine what it would sound like with both 1 meg pots like the standard vintage spec. It's plenty bright as it is with 250k pots.

I also put an .015uf PIO tone cap and replaced the 33nf Orange drop I had in there. I just find the .015 to be a better and more useful all around taper for any pickup in any guitar. There's a lot more granularity in rolling off the tone especially on the bridge pickup.

Lastly, I followed what I've been doing with all my Tele's lately and removed the neck pickup from the lower tone stack completely.
It was definitely being loaded down because now the neck pickup sounds bolder, and even more huge than before.

So the lower tone control only affects the bridge pickup, where I tend to use the tone control a lot more on F style guitars and I can Pre-set the tone of the bridge pickup without affecting the neck pickup and just switch back and forth via the toggle.

The Upper control or "Rhythm Circuit" is 100% stock. With 1 meg vol, 50k tone pot and a .02 tone cap.
I know a lot of people have no use for the standard Jazzmaster Rhythm circuit but I kinda dig it for certain sounds.
The last bit in the demo video was all on the neck pickup rhythm circuit and I think it sounded killer!

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

Last edited:
Edit:

Sounds good but compared to mine it's thinner and just as bright.
Maybe it'd the amp settings. My amp has a Fender tone stack and I set treble to 2, mids to 10 and bass to 7.
It's a fat sound, very different from the dainty sweetness of my Strat.

I see you installed a Fender vibrato unit. Easier than all the work I had to do!

--+
Can't listen now but I will tomorrow.

My Squier 40th anniversary Jazzmaster has great stock pickups IMO. Loud and bold. The neck pickup is not too dark, the bridge pickup is very hot at 10k iirc so it holds its own even when totally clean.

With 1 Meg pots, it's ridiculously bright. I use a 0.1uF Greenie cap and I have to keep the Tone at 50%. I think 500k would be great. I like the linear volume pot. CTS with magical cloth wire.

I replaced the rhythm circuit with a phase switch and ditched the rollers so I got a bunch of holes in the guitar now :)

Currently strung with 11-45 Thomastik flats. Really don't like them. Heavy top and light bottom doesn't make any sense, they are not smooth and not hollow sounding like Chromes. They sound like tame rounds. I shoulda known better than to use jazz strings...

Does your vibrato work smoothly? I had to do all kinds of hammer, file and lathe work to make mine work well but I saved 100 euros by not buying the AVRI unit.

Last edited:
Great guitar, great demo and sweet soundz!
Tim made me a custom Tele PU set years ago and that is still my nimber one guitar and it sounds fab!
Great pickups indeed, must try some Jazzmaster goodieness at some point too.

Is the Jazzmaster middle position not typically RWRP?

I've found that I like the softer magnets in the bridge pickup so the Alnico 2 must be nice

Does your vibrato work smoothly? I had to do all kinds of hammer, file and lathe work to make mine work well but I saved 100 euros by not buying the AVRI unit.
Not really. I'm a bit clunky feeling. I actually had to grind the collet hole larger because it was rubbing against it making a screeching noise when I first got it. (The stock Squier vibrato didn't do that...go figure).

It's very difficult to get just that "warble wobble" with the tremolo. I don't know if it needs to be adjusted, or I need a different spring.
I'm starting to look at some of the boutique offset vibrato's but honestly, the tuning stability is quite good with the stock Mustang bridge and the Fender vibrato. I just wish it were smoother.

Not really. I'm a bit clunky feeling. I actually had to grind the collet hole larger because it was rubbing against it making a screeching noise when I first got it. (The stock Squier vibrato didn't do that...go figure).

It's very difficult to get just that "warble wobble" with the tremolo. I don't know if it needs to be adjusted, or I need a different spring.
I'm starting to look at some of the boutique offset vibrato's but honestly, the tuning stability is quite good with the stock Mustang bridge and the Fender vibrato. I just wish it were smoother.
@andare

well, I'm a total idiot and Jazzmaster neophyte. I just now realized that I recorded that whole demo with the vibrato in the "locked" position. Duh......no wonder it didn't feel right and felt clunky heh. I just unlocked it, reset the action and it's actually very smooth now.
Tuning stability is good. I think I'm going to leave it all alone for now as it plays and sounds pretty good as is.

I ask because he wrote both pickups are South up and CCW wound. Am I stupid or is that not RWRP?
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I guess because this is a "custom" set maybe it's not? I dunno, I haven't noticed it playing it. Even with the high gain clips it doesn't seem like they're pretty quiet pickups.

Great playing. They sound good. I was really surprised (in a good way) at how thick the bridge pickup got at some points with overdrive. I have EP Custom Jazzmaster pickups in my Squier JM. The neck pickup sounds similar, warm yet articulate, but my bridge pickup is thinner.

How close to the strings did you manage to set the pickups? I need to play with pickup heights because I don't think I ever spent much time dialing them in. I'm going to check to see what the resistance is on each one. I know I opted for the enamel wire versions because they were supposed to be a little warmer.

Great playing. They sound good. I was really surprised (in a good way) at how thick the bridge pickup got at some points with overdrive. I have EP Custom Jazzmaster pickups in my Squier JM. The neck pickup sounds similar, warm yet articulate, but my bridge pickup is thinner.

How close to the strings did you manage to set the pickups? I need to play with pickup heights because I don't think I ever spent much time dialing them in. I'm going to check to see what the resistance is on each one. I know I opted for the enamel wire versions because they were supposed to be a little warmer.
I usually start with 1/8th inch on the bass side and 6/64 on the treble. Then tweak from there to get the right balance.

Old thread, but inspiring me to get my old Jazzmaster outta the closet. Needs a lot of work. I bought in 1965 (it’s a 62) and went through three sets of frets and a rowdy young man that modded the crap outta the poor thing over the years. I want to get it put back together. Make a player I guess. If anyone sees this post and knows a good luthier that’s not really expensive give me a holler.

Back