Parts for Muffler Noise Gate

Mole_Oy

Hey all,

Just recently became interested in building my own pedals. My amp already has many pedal effects included (Peavey VIP-2), so I thought a noise gate would be a great pedal to build. I came across the Muffler Noise Gate on PedalPCB and looked at the parts list. Being a beginner, sourcing parts has been a bit tricky for me, especially when some of the parts are discontinued.

Noise Gate build document: https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/PedalPCB-Muffler.pdf

Therefore, I have a few questions about some parts included in the list:
  • What manufactures or series' are preferred for resistors? Are they available on Digikey? I will be using metal film resistors
  • The IC LM4558 has been discontinued, so I have decided to use the TL072. Is this ideal or are their other ICs that would do a better job
  • The transistors 2N3904 and 2N5485 appear to be discontinued according to Digikey, are there substitutes that will suffice?
If you have built the muffler noise gate, I would especially love to hear from you. Any info or suggestions about the parts you used or I should use is helpful. I haven't purchased anything yet so even suggestions about parts not mentioned in the bullets will be taken into consideration.

Also, I will be going camping for the next three days, so unfortunately I won't be able to respond to any replies after tomorrow morning!

Cheers

Back