PCB layout fitting in 125b

Fontelroy

Man I've been having a frustrating back in forth due to a pcb not fitting well in a 125b. In trying to talk to the pcb maker of the issue and it's like I'm just talking to a wall. the build is for a deadend fx fire eye. It's a relatively new project so there were some issues with the build docs to begin with. the drill template did not include a footprint for the enclosure itself which I could see causing issue given how tight things are with this build as I couldn't get the pcb to fit the enclosure without trimming it due to the screw shafts of the enclosure (even with the pots butted up directly against the top wall), I was originally using a 125B I had ordered off of amazon which was a few mm shorter that greatly exacerbated the fit issues. The below image is with a 125B ordered from lovemyswitches as the pcb manufacturer said the pcb would fit it.

fire eye.png
the left if the example build, the right is my own. After a bit of back and forth the he admitted he doesn't use right angle pots and runs solid core wire to straight pin pots. it's pretty clear that's why his build is much roomier, but I'd have to imagine the board being held in place but 3 pots in a line that aren't right angled pots could have issues down the line when the only structural support is coming from solder joints on solid core wire. Not sure if other folks have run into any similar issues.

Wiring lugged pots to the pads with solid core wire to the solder pads is far from ideal. I did that with vero builds when I first started building, but if I'm making a pcb build it's getting board mounted pots (unless I only have a lugged pot for one value lol). That person shouldn't be selling stuff that they haven't verified to work. That shit sucks. They could at least put a some holes in the pcb to fit some standoffs if they're expecting to use wired pots.

I don’t want to rag on him too much, he’s a nice guy and the deadendfx stuff is pretty cool, I just wish he’d build in some more tolerance with his pcb dimensions. But I do agree his pots wiring method doesn’t seem ideal from a mechanical perspective.

Back