PCB's that use tubes or springs?

drgonzo1969

I am a sucker for pedals with actual tubes or real spring reverb units. I ordered the Black Eye from Sushi Box FX (should arrive tomorrow). Im wrapping up building the deadendFX Hooke. Do you guys know of any other diy pedals projects that use vacuum tubes or springs or something else analog and cool?

Is that the one with the subminiature tubes?
The one I did years ago with the subminiature tubes actually worked, but it used a full-size reverb tank and took WAY too much power to be useful. I did one maybe a year or so ago used full-size tubes but a miniature reverb tank and didn't like the results.

The one I did years ago with the subminiature tubes actually worked, but it used a full-size reverb tank and took WAY too much power to be useful. I did one maybe a year or so ago used full-size tubes but a miniature reverb tank and didn't like the results.
Have you played with Nuvistor tubes?
s-l500.jpg

Have you played with Nuvistor tubes?
A little, but I found pretty quickly that I don't like them as much as the real deal so never revisited them. I used 6N17B and 6N21B subminiature tubes exclusively for a while until I settled on a reliable method to mount 12AX7 in pedal enclosures, then I phased those out.

A little, but I found pretty quickly that I don't like them as much as the real deal so never revisited them. I used 6N17B and 6N21B subminiature tubes exclusively for a while until I settled on a reliable method to mount 12AX7 in pedal enclosures, then I phased those out.
I heard about 12AX7 but recently I saw a Matchless based pedal and it was showing 12AU7 in the Mockup, do you know about this? ;)

I heard about 12AX7 but recently I saw a Matchless based pedal and it was showing 12AU7 in the Mockup, do you know about this? ;)
Yeah, I couldn't find a stp file for 12AX7 that I liked, and obviously 12AU7 are the same size and pinout so I use the 12AU7 model when I do layouts. My 3D modeling skills are rudimentary at best so I use what I can find online.

I've been thinking. would it be possible to put the Particle Accelerator from Sushi Box FX and the Hooke from deadendFX in the same enclosure with the pedalpcb dc power breakout board? or would it be better just to run the on their own power supply?

I've been thinking. would it be possible to put the Particle Accelerator from Sushi Box FX and the Hooke from deadendFX in the same enclosure with the pedalpcb dc power breakout board? or would it be better just to run the on their own power supply?
I’d be more concerned with internal space. The Orion reverb fills a 1590XX pretty well, so you’re either trying to squeeze it into a 1590DD, which may not work out well, or a 1590F in which case it’s better to have them standalone.

If you’re into making your own PCBs then you always make a smaller Orion and then you could squeeze them into a 1590DD if you’re smart about it.

Back