DEMO PedalPCB Byzantium toggle festival (Boss BF-2)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The classic Boss Flanger now with a bunch a of unnecessary toggles.

I've been on a flanger search lately, so I had to revisit this one. It's an incredibly friendly and intuitive design, as is the Boss way, and I'm actually quite fond of it- it can do the Jet Plane thing, the chorus thing, and some of that sweet Filter Matrixing all with ease

I wanted to keep the Boss utilitarian thing at the forefront, but me being who I am, I felt compelled to hack in some toggles for a bit more variety. Taking a queue from the Boss design philosophy, I stuck to toggles, and made it easy to know when it's in stock mode- with all toggles in the down position it's a straight up BF-2

In order from top to bottom, the toggles control-
  1. H - shunts R37 for a bit more limiting at higher Rez levels. Extremely subtle, but useful
  2. W - This takes Depth pot lug 3 from the output of the second stage of the LFO and connects it to the junction of R2 and Pin 7 of the LFO chip. Theoretically, this should be a squarewave, but it comes out sounding more like a fucked up sawtooth
  3. V - this simply disconnects R34 to kill the dry signal and offer up a full wet vibrato
  4. S - this reduces the caps in the LFO from the stock 16.5u to 1.5u to offer sickeningly faster range of rates
  5. R - this swaps out the caps in the feedback path for smaller values (think I landed on 15n) to kinda reel back the metallic tunnel thing. Another subtle one, but useful
  6. D - this controls the Delay Time range of the clock. It simply adds a 100p cap in parallel with C11's 47p. This gets wacky and seasick

1. 1000019443.jpg 1000019444.jpg

It's been years since I owned a BF-2, and I've always kinda liked it despite not really caring for flangers overall, so I'm glad I built this. Incredibly easy to slap together and calibrate. Highly recommend this for fans of wind tunnels and other BBD modulations

With the mods, it can do it's metallic whooshies, but it's now also capable of some deeper chorus sounds, vertigo-inducing vibrato, and even some tape detuning sounds. I think I actually prefer the fixed flange modes of this to any of EHX's offerings- it's smoother, but also a lot more present, and the chimey sounds are absolutely delicious

giphy.gif

WTF??
Awesome mods dude- the DEMO sounds really great!

Back